Best closed cans? DT-770 80ohm, AKG k550 , Momentums or Shure 840?
Dec 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

troopa

New Head-Fier
Ok so been looking at reviews for along time now, and I think I narrowed it down to these 3.

DT-770 80ohm
AKG k550
Sennheiser Momentum
Shure 840

Will be used for gaming, music and movies. For music will be run on my LG G2 phone. I dont want to use dac/amp etc.

I listen to all types of music btw.

Pros/cons to these 3? soundstage,bass, sound quality, comfort etc? 

Thanks in advance.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 17
I really like my K550s for listening to music but they seem a little too detailed/sparkling for watching movies using the headphone port on my Marantz home theater receiver. For movies I like my wife's Sure 840s better. They have almost as much detail with a warmer and smoother presentation with a bit more boom in the bass. That applies for music and movies. A close friend of mine likes his 840s over my K550s for listening to Jazz (we did a taste test before he purchased - to each his own) Neither headphone has to have a dac/amp to appreciate their sound and they are both comfortable to wear for long sessions.

I can't really comment on the other two you are asking about because I haven't spent any real time with them but I think you should add the Sure's to your short list for the usage you described.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 17
I have a pair of Momentums and find them quite meh.     They don't do anything badly - they just lack that little something that makes me immerse myself in the music.

ETA:   I might be being a little unfair to them, as I am using LCD2s off a tube amp as my reference for how headphones should perform, so take this with a grain of salt.    But it may be worth to look into headphones with a more distinct signature, depending on your sound preferences.   

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 17
As I'm sure you know there is no "best headphone" out of the three.  What kind of sound signature do you want.  I know you said you listen to all genres but what types of music do you think you listen to the most.  If you don't mind a lower amount of bass presence I would recommend the k550s.  

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #6 of 17
  As I'm sure you know there is no "best headphone" out of the three.  What kind of sound signature do you want.  I know you said you listen to all genres but what types of music do you think you listen to the most.  If you don't mind a lower amount of bass presence I would recommend the k550s.  

I really do listen to all kinds, but if I had to pick 1 genre probably pop female vocals. But tbh some days I only listen to rnb or hip hop other days classic... Only genre I don't listen to much is hard techno/trance and metal.

Also very interested in which would be more suited for gaming and movies.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 17
Well DT770s would be very bad with female vocals (they don't have any midrange) K550s have a pretty good sound stage and if you don't mind having lots and lots of bass with hip hop then I think the K550s would be the best option.  Keep in mind that people with smaller heads have a hard time getting a good seal with them.

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 17
  Well DT770s would be very bad with female vocals (they don't have any midrange) K550s have a pretty good sound stage and if you don't mind having lots and lots of bass with hip hop then I think the K550s would be the best option.  Keep in mind that people with smaller heads have a hard time getting a good seal with them.

Alright thanks for the info. I'd say I have an average size head... btw what about comfort ? My scalp seems pretty sensetive so comfort matters alot to me as well.

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 17

Alright thanks for the info. I'd say I have an average size head... btw what about comfort ? My scalp seems pretty sensetive so comfort matters alot to me as well.

You shouldn't have a problem with comfort as far as the headband goes.  There isn't an excessive amount of clamping force or annoying dimples like the K70xs have.

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 17
Last bump :) want to buy today.... so far think I'm going with akg k550 unless someone has a better idea.... What I would have liked from akg k550 though is a detachable or shorter cable , or both :D

Also still interested in some more info on how all these compare?

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #13 of 17
If that's the case you might want to drop by Best Buy and check out the new AKG 545s:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/akg-k545-over-the-ear-headphones-black/2355014.p?id=1219073679654&skuId=2355014

They have a detachable cable and the early reviews seem to be favorable.

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #14 of 17
If that's the case you might want to drop by Best Buy and check out the new AKG 545s:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/akg-k545-over-the-ear-headphones-black/2355014.p?id=1219073679654&skuId=2355014

They have a detachable cable and the early reviews seem to be favorable.

They seem very interesting, I am actually leaning more towards these than k550. Looks like they have more / better bass and better for portable use + detachable cable at the expensive of slighty less soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back