Best closed cans around $300 to $400
Dec 16, 2013 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wjp007

Head-Fier
I've been using a B&W P5 as my portable rig for over a year.  Love the sound, but find it hurts my ears after about an hour.  I recently picked up a HE-400 and absolutely love them as they have started to break in, but I'm finding the open design simply won't work for my purposes.  I really like the treble response and detail it brings out in my music. I also noticed a subtle weird left ear/right ear frequency response imbalance when I do a frequency sweep on the HE-400.  I mostly listen to FLAC classic rock and jazz played through an iPAD.  I do have an FIIO AMP, but prefer the simplicity of plugging right into my iPad.  

Can anyone recommend a closed can that sounds as good?  I tried the Beyerdynamic DT 770's but found them to be a bit flat.  I'm leaning towards the P7s but they are rather pricey.  

Thanks

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 5
Look at these: MDR-1R (very comfy - sound sig prob very close to what you are looking for), M100 (very bassy - sound sig prob a bit more bassy than you want), Momentums (probably most similar to the HE400 out of your options in this price category, but earpads are more on-ear than over-ear... still made of real leather, so it's hard to say how comfy you'll find em - sound sig will either be exactly what you are looking for or a bit bass-light). If you want more detailed impressions of these, just let me know.

The new KEF M500 and NAD Viso HP50 sounds interesting from Jude's winter gift guide, but I've never tried em.

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks, I listened to the Momentums before, but they didn't do much for me.  I need to go back and given them another try.  The frequency response looks like something I should like.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back