Best Closed Cans $100-$150: Audio-Technica vs Equation vs M-Audio vs Ultrasone
Feb 2, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJDyn0mite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd at least consider the denon d-1001 and JVC harx-900/700. I have both and I would prefer the denon for portable use.

I have also heard very positive things about the Denons and I'm sure both of these are good, but I really need something that can fold up. I'm a student, so I need something that can fit into a backpack without being squashed or taking up too much space.

And Shahrose, thanks for the feedback on the RP-21's. I guess I spoke too soon!

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraBird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been doing my own research on the side and I think I can rule out the ATH-PRO700 SV based on the build quality complaints that seem to surround these cans. I think I will eliminate the HFI-450 because it seems clearly inferior to the other Ultrasones listed.

That leaves the ATH-ES7, ATH-M50, RP-21, Studiophile Q40, HFI-580, and PRO-550.

I have heard the least positive feedback about the RP-21, so it's on thin ice at this point. If possible, I would like to know if any of these surpass the AKG K 240 S/MKII (my current cans) in SQ. FYI, I listen to a wide variety of musical genres, so headphones tuned to a certain style won't work. If only I could hear these in person...

Where did you find PRO-550s for $100? I want some too.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim Lau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you find PRO-550s for $100? I want some too.

They are technically out of my price range ($170 at the cheapest), but I'm including them because *if* they are better than my current K 240's, which I haven't heard any feedback on here, then I can sell the AKGs, making the net expense well within my means.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 29
The RP21 is a can that does not get a lot of attention which is sad because at $109 w/ sales tax it is a pretty good deal. The ATH-ES7 are also a nice sounding unit.

UltraBird, how about attending a local meet to try a bunch of cans?

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RP21 is a can that does not get a lot of attention which is sad because at $109 w/ sales tax it is a pretty good deal. The ATH-ES7 are also a nice sounding unit.

UltraBird, how about attending a local meet to try a bunch of cans?

Man.. I sure wish I could wait that long, but after looking around it sounds like there won't be another on in my area until Summer. Sadly, I need a pair of portables before then.
Also, do you have any experience with the Ultrasones? Do you think their higher price is justified, or are they in roughly the same league as the other, cheaper headphones I listed?

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #24 of 29
I had a change of heart: I decided to sell off my K 240's, killing two birds with one stone with the Ultrasone PRO 750s. They serve the purpose of portable cans for which I started this thread, and they make a nice upgrade to my at-home set as well.

Ohh.... my wallet...

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

I had a change of heart: I decided to sell off my K 240's, killing two birds with one stone with the Ultrasone PRO 750s. They serve the purpose of portable cans for which I started this thread, and they make a nice upgrade to my at-home set as well.

Ohh.... my wallet...

that works as well

I was going to suggest Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's though (for some reason they don't get much attention), good isolation, comfortable, and clean SQ

but, the PRO 750's are likely to be much better, hope you enjoy them

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of choice indeed. I'm still not sure what to get. I really want to be satisfied with my next pair of headphones

I have the 750s now, and they work wonderfully. They are, obviously, well above the price range noted in this thread but man they are worth the $270 I got them for on eBay. Even straight from the iPod they're great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

I have the 750s now, and they work wonderfully. They are, obviously, well above the price range noted in this thread but man they are worth the $270 I got them for on eBay. Even straight from the iPod they're great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananaheadlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what did you buy?

Bananaheadlin read the post above yours! He got the PROline 750.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back