Best closed can under $100 for movies
Feb 13, 2015 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jim McC

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an over the ear can for movies. Will be powered by my A/V receiver. I need:

Comfort - good ear space and depth, low clamping pressure

Good bass

Clear vocals

I was thinking of the original CAL. Would a studio can like the Sony MDR-7506 or V6 have enough bass?

Thanks.

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 4
No headphone is going to give you the same type of bass you get from a good subwoofer in a home theater. It just can't provide that type of visceral slam.

Your second problem is that low-clamping force typically equals less bass.

With that said, how about the Sennheiser HD280 Pro? I think it's more bassy than the Sony.

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks. I've read that the HD280 Pro clamps like a vice. I'm thinking of the CAL because it's supposed to have very good bass, low clamping pressure and very comfortable.

The can I'm testing now(HD558) clamps pretty hard, and because it sits over my glasses, is causing much discomfort.

I'm thinking I may have to go to a on-ear can(open or closed) to help with the glasses problem. Does that make sense?

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 4
On-ears typically have higher clamping force than over-ears because they need a decent seal to sound good. Some headphones try to offset this by making the pads large in diameter, and then you are right back where you started with pressure on your eyeglasses.

Comfort is one of those things that really depends on the specific wearer, and I suspect you just need to take your best shot and give one a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back