Best closed backs for metal and vocals?
Sep 9, 2019 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jason41987

100+ Head-Fier
i am looking for some closed back headphones that do really good with metal genres, especially vocal clarity, with a preference towards female vocals, which would mean better higher frequency response.. i can find these characteristics in open-back headphones and dont even have to spend much to find it.. but due to the nature of them, and the audio bleeding into my mic, i cannot use them for most things i do at my computer (streaming, gaming, etc) and would like to find good closed backs that do very well in this category, for around $150

any suggestions?

Sep 9, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 13
Normally I look for great mids for metal,not detailed upper mids/treble. I guess it depends o the genres of metal youre into.

The only closed back I know of with accentuated upper mids at that price point would be the BeyerDynamic DT770. I dont like it for the treble being too hot for me,and recessed mids,but maybe you prefer that sound.

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 13
SoundMAGIC HP151 is just ever-so slightly treble- (as well as) bass-emphasized. If you end up looking at something more officially neutral in this price range, I like the NAD HP50 quite a lot as well.

Sep 9, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 13
You can find the original Msr7 new for that price. Detailed upper mids and treble is what they're known for. I use my Msr7b most every day at the gym for hard rock and hair metal. If you also want a visceral low end, you will need to look elsewhere. Electric guitars sound pretty stellar on this can though. Kick drums are just so so, but not terrible. In that price range, nothing else immediately comes to mind.

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 13
i like the specs on the DT770, i may use amazons return policy to order a few, try them out, and return the ones that dont do it for me.. if i did this, what are a few more worth trying out? what about ATH-M50X, sony MDRV6

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 13
You can find the original Msr7 new for that price. Detailed upper mids and treble is what they're known for. I use my Msr7b most every day at the gym for hard rock and hair metal. If you also want a visceral low end, you will need to look elsewhere. Electric guitars sound pretty stellar on this can though. Kick drums are just so so, but not terrible. In that price range, nothing else immediately comes to mind.

would agree with the at recommendation

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 13
they both can be used balanced though, it's just a matter of how much work you want to do to balance it.. replace the 3.5mm with a TRRS and wire the speakers to it individually, but yeah, the detachable cable for each ear cup does make things easier no doubt.. i'll definitely look at them because the reviews are pretty good for what i am looking for

what about the M50X (perhaps with mods) and DT770s?

Sep 11, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 13
they both can be used balanced though, it's just a matter of how much work you want to do to balance it.. replace the 3.5mm with a TRRS and wire the speakers to it individually, but yeah, the detachable cable for each ear cup does make things easier no doubt.. i'll definitely look at them because the reviews are pretty good for what i am looking for

what about the M50X (perhaps with mods) and DT770s?
Unless you're capable of making the mods yourself, you may as well get the Msr7b, as it will land at about the same expense. Plus the B comes with a balanced cable - though not the best of cables. The 50 doesn't present the upper mids and treble like what you're after. The 50 is an extremely over hyped headphone imo. The msr7 was essentially made for the Japan market, and tuned accordingly. I'm not a Beyerdynamic fan. The cans I've demoed were too hot, or to V shaped for my taste.

Nov 30, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #13 of 13
late response, holiday stuff, but yeah, the MSR7Bs are not available anywhere i can find for under $250 unless its used, refurbished, etc.. i'm really trying to set up my space here in my apartment to be a bit quieter so i can use open backs on a more regular basis, unfortunately, with a fan running it makes it hard to hear anything with a lot of dynamic range, or i'll have to turn the volume up louder than my computer can drive them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back