1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Best closed backs for metal and vocals?

1. jason41987
    i am looking for some closed back headphones that do really good with metal genres, especially vocal clarity, with a preference towards female vocals, which would mean better higher frequency response.. i can find these characteristics in open-back headphones and dont even have to spend much to find it.. but due to the nature of them, and the audio bleeding into my mic, i cannot use them for most things i do at my computer (streaming, gaming, etc) and would like to find good closed backs that do very well in this category, for around $150

any suggestions?

2. Monsterzero
    Normally I look for great mids for metal,not detailed upper mids/treble. I guess it depends o the genres of metal youre into.

The only closed back I know of with accentuated upper mids at that price point would be the BeyerDynamic DT770. I dont like it for the treble being too hot for me,and recessed mids,but maybe you prefer that sound.

3. serman005
    SoundMAGIC HP151 is just ever-so slightly treble- (as well as) bass-emphasized. If you end up looking at something more officially neutral in this price range, I like the NAD HP50 quite a lot as well.

4. Mhog55
    You can find the original Msr7 new for that price. Detailed upper mids and treble is what they're known for. I use my Msr7b most every day at the gym for hard rock and hair metal. If you also want a visceral low end, you will need to look elsewhere. Electric guitars sound pretty stellar on this can though. Kick drums are just so so, but not terrible. In that price range, nothing else immediately comes to mind.

5. jason41987
    i like the specs on the DT770, i may use amazons return policy to order a few, try them out, and return the ones that dont do it for me.. if i did this, what are a few more worth trying out? what about ATH-M50X, sony MDRV6

6. blackdragon87
    would agree with the at recommendation

7. jason41987
    what does it mean "original MSR7"? how many versions are there?

8. Mhog55
    Two. The Msr7b was recently released. Not a whole lot of difference, but the b version can be used balanced.

9. jason41987
    they both can be used balanced though, it's just a matter of how much work you want to do to balance it.. replace the 3.5mm with a TRRS and wire the speakers to it individually, but yeah, the detachable cable for each ear cup does make things easier no doubt.. i'll definitely look at them because the reviews are pretty good for what i am looking for

what about the M50X (perhaps with mods) and DT770s?

10. Mhog55
    Unless you're capable of making the mods yourself, you may as well get the Msr7b, as it will land at about the same expense. Plus the B comes with a balanced cable - though not the best of cables. The 50 doesn't present the upper mids and treble like what you're after. The 50 is an extremely over hyped headphone imo. The msr7 was essentially made for the Japan market, and tuned accordingly. I'm not a Beyerdynamic fan. The cans I've demoed were too hot, or to V shaped for my taste.

11. jason41987
    i could make the mods, i'd prefer not to if i didnt have to, so i guess it'd come down to cost though, both are around $250, which is about $100 over budget

12. Mhog55
    Msr7 is available between 150 and 170 all over the internet and eBay.