Best closed-back portable headphone under $150 for college.
Dec 18, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 20
  So far I am down to 3 choices (in no particular order):
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Shure SRH840
Logitech UE6000

Sorry for more questions, but which has a better soundstage? which is better on a mobile device such as an Ipod or smartphone or do they all work? and lastly, can I possibly find any of these in a store so I can listen to them first?

Between ATH-M50 & SRH840, SRH840 has a much better soundstage and ATH-M50 performs slightly better on mobile device. You can try both at Guitar Center.

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #17 of 20
I'll preface this by saying I'm a pretty loyal AKG fan, but I think you are missing out if you don't consider the AKG K272 / K271 MKII (the same headphone except 271 is the studio model i.e. detachable cord, auto-mute in headband, black instead of grey). I love them, and use a Fiio e11 amp and couldn't be happier. 

May 8, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #19 of 20
*bump* I wanted to get some updated opinions based on my criteria. 

Wow hard to believe I posted this so long ago!

But many new headphones have arrived since then and my price range is under $200 now. Music and everything else that I want are the same.

I would really like to know what people think!

May 8, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #20 of 20
If comfort is a deal breaker, I would avoid the ATH-M50X. They do sound pretty good for the money, but I couldn't wear them for more than an hour before I had to take them off due to them squeezing the brains out of my head (for reference my hat size is 7 3/4. I have heard you can adjust the headband so it squeezes less, but I never tried this. The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 32 Ohm seem to fit your needs perfectly, albeit they are not extremely portable. And they are probably one of the most comfortable headphones around. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back