Best Closed $400-$500 for Electronica?
Aug 3, 2008 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

kojebee

100+ Head-Fier
Hi closed headphone veterans,

I'm looking to upgrade my closed headphones (Ultrasone HFI700).

I've got Stax SR2050A for 'open' listening which I like very much, but looking for a closed solution. I live in a one room apartment, so the wife is often watching TV, and I live in a noisy neighborhood. Therefore I'm looking for a closed headphone solution at around $400 - $500.

I like good detail, so looking for that, but expect less detail than the Stax which I don't mind. I'd like a 'touch' more bass than the Stax. Not overpoweringly so, just enough if the recording requires it. I require better mids than the Ultrasones. Something is missing in the mids of the Ultrasones, can't put my finger on it, I guess you guys could explain that one better than I.

I'll be using them via a computer the majority of the time, using a Go-Vibe USB/DAC or Beresford TC-7510, but most likely the Go-Vibe.

Importantly, I listen to Electronica.... ambient, chill out, downtempo, trip-hop, nu jazz, trance, progressive house etc for 80% of the time.

Pink Floyd, U2 among other rock/pop bands make up the rest of my listening.

Can you give me some recommendations? I'd even extend the budget if the sound justifies it. One thing to consider is that I'll need shipping to South Korea, if I can't get a good price in Korea (which is most of the time - I have used audiocubes and pricejapan often in the past), so shipping costs have to be a consideration.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back