Best classical recordings...ever!
Nov 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #527 of 9,368
  Perhaps this is simply of tired repertoire.
There are only so many ways to skin a cat eh?Even a meaty one?

I'd like to see Toscanini(whom I admire greatly) try to conduct a lot of modern repertoire.
Of course if your argument is so weighted in your personal opinion you may as well
put down anything remotely contemporary as inferior as well.Toscanini himself was not a fan of much music of his own era which others admired and championed.

And actually I can recognize by their style today and sometimes I don't care for what they do.
One example would be Pletnev's Beethoven.
Not saying it's bad but It's not my(stress:MY) favorite.

Sorry for my questionable grammar.

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #529 of 9,368
I love Quartetto Italiano's Beethoven Quartets! 

Their Schubert I don't know yet, maybe takes some getting used too
rolleyes.gif

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #530 of 9,368
  I love Quartetto Italiano's Beethoven Quartets! 

Their Schubert I don't know yet, maybe takes some getting used too
rolleyes.gif

Haven't heard them with the Schubert. Actually came late to Schubert's music and my experience with his string quartets are limited.
Thought a lot about Beethoven quartet recordings over the years.These recordings stand out.

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #533 of 9,368
I might snag Toscanini's Beethoven. I've been sampling the symphonies and I'm impressed. So much fire.

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #534 of 9,368
What happened to the discussion in this discussion? Everything is fragmented now.

Toscanini is my favorite for Beethoven's 3rd. He has energy that no other conductor can match. When I hear a Toscanini recording, I know instantly who it is. I sure can't say that for Abbado or Jarvi!

Toscanini didn't perform a lot of modern music. The one who did that was Stokowski. He was the most versatile conductor who ever lived, and totally his own man. Again, whenever I hear Stokowski recordings, especially the free bowed strings, I know instantly who it is.

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #536 of 9,368
  What happened to the discussion in this discussion? Everything is fragmented now.

Toscanini is my favorite for Beethoven's 3rd. He has energy that no other conductor can match. When I hear a Toscanini recording, I know instantly who it is. I sure can't say that for Abbado or Jarvi!

Toscanini didn't perform a lot of modern music. The one who did that was Stokowski. He was the most versatile conductor who ever lived, and totally his own man. Again, whenever I hear Stokowski recordings, especially the free bowed strings, I know instantly who it is.

Toscanini 3rd is amazing.
Agreed regarding Stokowski.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #539 of 9,368
The one who did that was Stokowski. He was the most versatile conductor who ever lived, and totally his own man. Again, whenever I hear Stokowski recordings, especially the free bowed strings, I know instantly who it is.

This reminds me that I've read quite some criticism , regarding Stokowki interpretations of Wagner.
I  was looking for a kind of "best of" of wagner, and I  didn't want to hear the full "Der Ring des Nibelungen" thing (14 cds of opera is not my cup of tea, and I 'm barely just interested by the music piece called "the ride of valkyries"  ). The recording "Ring Without Words" by maazel seemed perfect for me, but after seeing all the negative reviews  (especially from "santa fe listenner", a knowledgeable   reviewer ) ,  it seems that  the one called " Highlights from the Ring of Nibelungs" by Szell is a better choice.

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #540 of 9,368
Hogwash. Stokowski's Symphonic Synthesis of the Ring takes the vocal lines and assigns them to lead instruments in the same range. Other orchestral excerpts just present the background music without the lead. To me, that is LESS authentic, not more. The only thing Stoki does is add concert a concert ending, which Wagner himself did when he conducted the pieces before the operas were completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back