Best classical recordings...ever!
Jun 13, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #8,192 of 9,368
Originally Posted by Quinto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two and half hours of Bernstein/Mahler..gotto love youtube..

"Grossartig!" Thanks for posting, watched first 30 min. and will get back to it.
Bernstein had an exact idea how it should sound and how to get the orchestra where he wanted them.
No holding back to pointing out directly what he didn't like but that the only way to get things moving and not wasting enormous time and energy.

That reminds me of an interview on WBGO with Esperanza Spalding who defended a rigorous teacher/mentor Hal Crook by saying you don't get anywhere when the teacher is only making you feel cosy and comfortable. Sometimes you need to go home crying to your parents because the teacher told you "You suck and you need to practice for 2 hrs a day!" And the teacher was right.
About 1 min. into the interview:
http://www.wbgo.org/internal/mediaplayer/?podcastID=7370&type=thecheckout

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #8,193 of 9,368
  "Grossartig!" Thanks for posting, watched first 30 min. and will get back to it.
Bernstein had an exact idea how it should sound and how to get the orchestra where he wanted them.
No holding back to pointing out directly what he didn't like but that the only way to get things moving and not wasting enormous time and energy.

That reminds me of an interview on WBGO with Esperanza Spalding who defended a rigorous teacher/mentor Hal Crook by saying you don't get anywhere when the teacher is only making you feel cosy and comfortable. Sometimes you need to go home crying to your parents because the teacher told you "You suck and you need to practice for 2 hrs a day!" And the teacher was right.
About 1 min. into the interview:
http://www.wbgo.org/internal/mediaplayer/?podcastID=7370&type=thecheckout

Gonna listen to that, thanks! she's great 

Indeed one thing all good mucisians have in common, they handle critic as an opportunity to learn and never take it personally..

Jun 16, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #8,196 of 9,368

Indeed one thing all good mucisians have in common, they handle critic as an opportunity to learn and never take it personally..

Good "mucisians" or "muckisians" perhaps.

Is this an inviation to imagine how Max Reger might have treated that comment on paper?...
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #8,200 of 9,368
I just cancelled my subscription to Classics Online HD*LL. Quite possibly the most simple, fast, and straightforward cancellation for a service I've ever done. Kudos for that. Also, I think many of you would find much to be appreciated in the catalog. Personally, there were just too many things I couldn't find, but moreover, I still haven't managed to get streaming from the internet to sound as good as a real CD. I've tried a number of methods for improving streaming and never been fully satisfied, even with the Hi-Rez files. With Tidal and Qobus there are more options for remote control network streaming, AFAIK. Also, there are supposedly very good hi-fi streamers available now that I have yet to invest in. Perhaps then I would abandon my fondness for the physical disk.  

Probably if you have a lot of patience and want to discover obscure artists and works, greatly expanding beyond the typical classical fair one learns about in grade-school, Classics Online will have things that are really interesting. But if you are first and foremost looking for the 'classic' must-own kind of discs and the big stars of classical music, you should stick with buying cds. 

My personal old school method for collecting great music is to combine CD purchases with visits to the local library. Just discovered thanks to the library: Valentin Greff Bakfark--yes, that's right, Bakfark. An amazing Lutenist, most likely from a Germanic Transylvanian town.... Renaissance lute at its very best. 

Right now, listening through the box set of Schumann Lieder with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau and Christoph Eschenbach for DG. Fantastic... also from library. 

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #8,205 of 9,368
The Locatelli edition i bought a few weeks ago is very Good, indeed the last Good brilliant classics recording (well recorded and mastered being true 16/44.1 and not fake "MP3-CD")

I did a comparison between Richard Egarr recording of Froberger's complete Keyboard works on GLOBE (1994) VS Froberger Edition with Bob van Asperen on Aeolous (1999-2016) and ended liking the Aeolous one, the Harpsichord is more rich and fuller sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back