Best classical recordings...ever!
May 28, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #8,176 of 9,368
Back to the "Best Classical Recordings". Hohenstein's Mahler Third was unavailable on CD for many years. Now Prestoclassical offers a download http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Unicorn/UKCD2006. This recording belongs to a batch of Unicorn Canchana Recordings that were released on Prestoclassical a few weeks ago. They are planing to offer the complete back catalogue of this eclectic label. Look out for Horenstein's Nielsen Symphonies, the complete of the same composer under Ole Schmidt, etc. These are really remarkable performances in very good sound.

May 28, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #8,177 of 9,368
  Back to the "Best Classical Recordings". Hohenstein's Mahler Third was unavailable on CD for many years. Now Prestoclassical offers a download http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Unicorn/UKCD2006. This recording belongs to a batch of Unicorn Canchana Recordings that were released on Prestoclassical a few weeks ago. They are planing to offer the complete back catalogue of this eclectic label. Look out for Horenstein's Nielsen Symphonies, the complete of the same composer under Ole Schmidt, etc. These are really remarkable performances in very good sound.

Presto classical has became too expensive IMHO, i now use qobuz or amazon​

May 29, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #8,178 of 9,368
Another "incoherent" post for those interested in threading the long line:

I don't have that particular release of the set. It's worth knowing that the Beethoven's 4th in the Sony Essential Classics budget line has an annoying pause between the 2d and 3d movements. One can supplement those discs with this one which has the smooth transition.

It's my second favorite 4th, after his teacher Schnabel's 1942 recording with Stock/Chicago. I prefer Fleisher's 1st and 3d though.

May 30, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #8,179 of 9,368
I don't have that particular release of the set. It's worth knowing that the Beethoven's 4th in the Sony Essential Classics budget line has an annoying pause between the 2d and 3d movements. One can supplement those discs with this one which has the smooth transition.

It's my second favorite 4th, after his teacher Schnabel's 1942 recording with Stock/Chicago. I prefer Fleisher's 1st and 3d though.

I am not familiar with the Sony reissue you mention. 
I grew up with the original vinyl and set I`ve mentioned here.

Powerful recordings..

Schnabel of course is crucial listening as well 
smile.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #8,181 of 9,368
The little Sound Liaison label has released their first purely classical recording, I don't know if this is the best classical recording ever but the SQ is spectacular, the repertoire well chozen and the 2 young virtuoso are truly deserving wider recognition;
http://www.soundliaison.com/
Quote:
 Levan Tskhadadze (clarinet) and Izhar Elias (guitar) play their instruments with an incredible transparency, refined articulation and subtle musical colours. It is their own story they create. Their music speaks as if they are talking with each other through their instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back