Best classical recordings...ever!
May 14, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #8,163 of 9,368

Calling this one for "best" Billy the Kid suite. I haven't finished a proper cage-match for Rodeo yet.

May 19, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #8,166 of 9,368
Does anyone here have a favorite streaming service? I'm trying out "Classics Online," which seems pretty good if you're just into Classical. Obviously it doesn't have a lot of stuff, but what it does have is almost any work of music within the huge genre that you can think of. It might not have more than a couple of versions for some works, and it does seem to lack some of the more prestigious labels at times, yet I'm impressed with their growing list of high-rez stuff. They also have a cool annual subscription deal which gives you a free high-rez download per month as well. (I still may cancel, but I'm trying it for now.)

I know some like Qubiz, and I tried Tidal, but I didn't like their search engine for classical. It always seemed to be impossible to find what I was looking for even when it was actually in the catalogue.

May 19, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #8,167 of 9,368

I have the complete music with the BergenPO + Ruud on BIS, which is uniformly good (I wonder why the Järvi forces, who did lots of recordings for BIS, didn't do their own Grieg cycle on that label…). I imagine the nationalist music from Russia probably also had some effect on Sibelius, but certainly Grieg was in there. Totally different composers, though; one never reminds me of the other.

I know this is from a while back, but while yes Grieg and Sibelius were different, I feel it is a relatively objective fact that Grieg influenced Sibelius...quite heavily. It is subjective to say one reminds of the other, but if you listen to the full Op. 23 (Peer Gynt) of Grieg, particularly movement 8, and then listen to something like Sibelius' Op. 44, Walz Triste, all of a sudden you can hear that some of Sibelius' most brilliant work was directly inspired by the music, themes, and general folkloric thrust of Grieg's opus. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P01EqXn7mik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnrGX8O6sN4 

May 19, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #8,168 of 9,368
  I know this is from a while back, but while yes Grieg and Sibelius were different, I feel it is a relatively objective fact that Grieg influenced Sibelius...quite heavily. It is subjective to say one reminds of the other, but if you listen to the full Op. 23 (Peer Gynt) of Grieg, particularly movement 8, and then listen to something like Sibelius' Op. 44, Walz Triste, all of a sudden you can hear that some of Sibelius' most brilliant work was directly inspired by the music, themes, and general folkloric thrust of Grieg's opus. 

I would heavily debate the use of "heavily". For a biographic argument, see here. Certainly Sibelius had exposure to Grieg and thus probably couldn't help but take a little from him, but I really never, ever think "Grieg" when I hear Sibelius. I would consider what you hear in the Walz to be more like convergent evolution than direct influence. I hear Tchaikovsky more than Grieg in early Sibelius.

May 20, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #8,169 of 9,368
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPqXvCiyIj0[/VIDEO]

I've been listening to completions of Schubert's D.840 sonata (AKA 'Reliquie'). Most are poor (especially in the finale), but this one is fairly convincing (notwithstanding Pludermacher's generally cool approach to Schubert). I think the completion begins around 8:00. My only improvements to this would be to cut some of the first 8 minutes (you can hear Schubert floundering as he wonders where to go), and end with a bang as all the other sonatas do.

May 23, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #8,170 of 9,368
I have been listening to a relatively new recording of the complete Beethoven sonatas for piano and violin featuring Isabelle van Keulen on the violin and Hannes Minnaar on the piano.  I find the performances engaging, and the sound recording is gorgeous (I have been listening to the stereo SACD file). 

May 28, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #8,175 of 9,368
My new Adquisitions

Locatelli complete edition and The last release of Bob van Asperen's Froberger edition: Vol. 8 "Toccata"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back