Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 10, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #7,021 of 9,368
"Hi-res" is hit and miss. Compared an hr version of karajan's 1962 Beeth cycle with my CD box set. No difference, heck, the CDs sounded fuller and more musical than hr.  And Abbado's Beeth 9th symph with the BPO, on 192/24 -- that's the worst. No depth compared to the CD. Anyways....

On topic:

Martha Argerich's chamber set is quite good. Her choices of soloists like Perlman, Kremer, etc. are astute given the live venues recorded there.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/EMI/0940142

5099909401457.jpg

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #7,023 of 9,368
  I don't know if it's the improved recording technology of the modern age, but I've been leaning towards more and more post-2000 CDs and younger violinists these days. I used to be a huge fan of Heifetz, Ostraikh, Perlman etc. but nowadays I always find myself rather listening to Fischer, Hahn, and such. 

Could also be stylistic differences in the solo and accompaniment due to insights from the HIP movement. I feel like we're in a good time for this, where even "big" soloists and groups are at least taking some of the scholarship to heart. You also get combos now like Hahn or Jansen + Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie, Fischer or Tetzlaff + Tonhalle, etc.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #7,024 of 9,368
  Gave Michelangeli's Ravel PC in G a try. Absolutely love it, thanks for the recommendation.

Also:

Grimaud really gives my old favourites of Fleisher/Szell and Gilels/Reiner a run for their money. Amazing performance.

I adore her Emperor concerto with Dresden. The rec is superb, and she brings a vitality and detailing to the piece that I did not think was possible, given the warhorse nature of that piece (been rec'ed thousands of times over...).

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #7,025 of 9,368

I adore her Emperor concerto with Dresden. The rec is superb, and she brings a vitality and detailing to the piece that I did not think was possible, given the warhorse nature of that piece (been rec'ed thousands of times over...).

Okay I have wanted this for some time now and your endorsement pushes it to the top of the list. Come payday I'll be ordering this one for sure.

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #7,027 of 9,368
  Okay I have wanted this for some time now and your endorsement pushes it to the top of the list. Come payday I'll be ordering this one for sure.

That's good news. It's not THE "best", but on my floor system, it is superb. Her finger work is remarkable on the keyboard runs of 1st mvt -- the beginning three runs are slower than other recordings (e.g. Fleisher/Szell, Serkin/Bernstein are faster), so I hear each note more distinctly despite the speed and dynamism of the piece. And it's paired with a sonata #28, which is pretty good.

Happy Holidays to all here.

https://sites.google.com/site/canadianmaestrosaudiosystem/desert-island-recordings

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #7,028 of 9,368
  Gave Michelangeli's Ravel PC in G a try. Absolutely love it, thanks for the recommendation.

Also:

Grimaud really gives my old favourites of Fleisher/Szell and Gilels/Reiner a run for their money. Amazing performance.

I'm suprised she even attempted to play the Brahms. Most of the times I have heard her recordings and live, she's struggling with technicalities of the pieces.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #7,029 of 9,368
She sounded fine to me. But most of us commoners listen less critically to every note and nuance of phrasing.... 
biggrin.gif

Her wolf-fetish, now that's something I do have a squirming about.....

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #7,033 of 9,368
Mirare consistently puts out  recordings with demonstration quality sound.  This one is sublime and is also, IMO, particularly suited to headphone listening:

Great music, ultra sensitive performances, stunningly recorded.  Probably my favorite of 2015.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #7,034 of 9,368
  Mirare consistently puts out  recordings with demonstration quality sound.  This one is sublime and is also, IMO, particularly suited to headphone listening:

Great music, ultra sensitive performances, stunningly recorded.  Probably my favorite of 2015.

I have them but the brilliant Classics edition  with ensamble Harmonices Mundi

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #7,035 of 9,368

How does her playing compare with someone like Ton Koopman or Howard Shelley? Andreas Staier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back