Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 23, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #6,091 of 9,368
Listening to Mendelssohn's 2nd piano trio this morning, I couldn't help notice that one of the themes of the first movement seems to be a direct quote from Schumann's piano quintet - the funeral march slow movement. Surely no coincidence?

BTW, I'd be happy to hear recommendations for recordings of Schumann's piano quintet, as the two I have are less than satisfactory (Alberni (tho' great in the quartets) and Via Nova).

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #6,092 of 9,368
Listening to Mendelssohn's 2nd piano trio this morning, I couldn't help notice that one of the themes of the first movement seems to be a direct quote from Schumann's piano quintet - the funeral march slow movement. Surely no coincidence?

Plagiarism ("sharing", "adoption", "imitation is flattery") was apparently kosher among musicians in the 19th c. 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #6,093 of 9,368

Plagiarism ("sharing", "adoption", "imitation is flattery") was apparently kosher among musicians in the 19th c.  :rolleyes:

That's a cynical way to put it! As I understand it, composers often reference each other. Apparently Mozart's requiem is full of quotes.
(And I was listening to some of Haydn's London symphonies last night - I'm pretty sure Beethoven lifted a few things from there!)

Maybe you can look around on youtube or else and give a hint what you like/dislike, there is soooo much :wink_face:

Agreed - there is so much on youtube now (though not necessarily the best version), that this is probably the best way for a newbie to explore classical music. Just search a few famous composers and see what comes up, then follow the links (down the rabbit hole :p ). I'd say try to avoid live performances, as the visuals can distract you from the musical performance.
_

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #6,096 of 9,368
^ Is that the later, live one? She's done it a couple of times, and I gather that one was the best.

EDIT: I'm an idiot - it says "live" right there on the cover (in tiny lettering).

I haven't heard her in another recording of it, so I can't compare. Having played viola growing up, I was drawn by the value-added of the Märchenbilder with Imai (who's disk of Russian viola music on BIS is a good one).

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #6,097 of 9,368
  That's all you need really.

Quote:

This is always a fun and bombastic listen. It will hopefully give your ears and soul a workout.

Ok, I was able to find 2 tracks from this disc on Youtube. Seemingly, they were the title tracks, as they were labeled "An American in Paris" and "Rhapsody in Blue"
I agree that there are fun listens, An American in Paris made me think of watching old Disney films and listening to old Disney records I had as a child. Rhapsody in Blue was a bit more somber feeling until around 4 minutes in, and then the bombast and fun kicked in. I don't know why, but it too reminded me of old Disney animated classics.
tongue_smile.gif
However, both of these songs are "all over the map" in terms of tone, with some mellower parts and exciting/faster/happier parts throughout.

Here are the videos I listened to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0GWTNkZDCU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYj7nKwYrPI

EDIT: Can anyone tell me what instrument that is at 2:38 in Rhapsody in Blue? I don't know why, but I really liked the sound of it...interesting sound IMO.

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #6,098 of 9,368
I was offline just for a while, coming back was pleasantly surprised to see that you guys are keeping this thread very alive 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
  The DG videos/DVDs of Karajan doing the Beethoven symphonies are pure exercises in egotism -- lots of cam closeups of HvK The Dictator. I would say almost on par with Leni Riefenstahl's camera work of Der Fuhrer's rallies in Nuremberg.  Minus the adulating crowds....

Perfect description, share your view to the last letter. Still I somehow prefer watching some of HvK videos than only listening them. Listening him is very often dull, but watching him, gives a little bit of insight into his über-staging ideas.

Quote:

He's a monster of a pianist. Probably the best technically of the 21st century. His rachmaninoff concerto recordings and tchaikovsky are magnificent.

The more amazing part is that he only took up serious study of the piano aged 16, which is mind boggling.

Great, unfortunately still somewhat underrated pianist. Heard him live few years ago, with some of his transcriptions, he was breathtaking.

I agree with you regarding HvK's ego! I subscribe to the Digital Concert Hall by the Berlin Philharmonic and I find it difficult to watch the older concerts where he is conducting because in my opinion, the camera man keeps the lens on him far too much and close-up at that. When compared to the other concerts with Simon Rattle, Claudio Abbado and others, no such problem. Now I just close my eyes so I don't have to see.
I think Rattle is an excellent conductor and a more generous one too.

Leo

Abbado was indeed a modest man and a gentleman, but I wouldn't be so sure about Rattle. Rattle has a huge ego as well, but he manages it much more intelligently than Karajan. There is also a solid part of acting in his "I am down-to-earth everybody's buddy", but I agree that he is an excellent conductor. 

BTW, I'd be happy to hear recommendations for recordings of Schumann's piano quintet, as the two I have are less than satisfactory (Alberni (tho' great in the quartets) and Via Nova).

For Schumann piano quintet try Pressler with Emerson. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #6,099 of 9,368

Great, unfortunately still somewhat underrated pianist. Heard him live few years ago, with some of his transcriptions, he was breathtaking.

The great pianists tend to spend more time on the music than marketing

I am looking at you lang lang 
mad.gif

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #6,102 of 9,368
  Ok, I was able to find 2 tracks from this disc on Youtube. Seemingly, they were the title tracks, as they were labeled "An American in Paris" and "Rhapsody in Blue"
I agree that there are fun listens, An American in Paris made me think of watching old Disney films and listening to old Disney records I had as a child. Rhapsody in Blue was a bit more somber feeling until around 4 minutes in, and then the bombast and fun kicked in. I don't know why, but it too reminded me of old Disney animated classics.
tongue_smile.gif
However, both of these songs are "all over the map" in terms of tone, with some mellower parts and exciting/faster/happier parts throughout.

Here are the videos I listened to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0GWTNkZDCU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYj7nKwYrPI

EDIT: Can anyone tell me what instrument that is at 2:38 in Rhapsody in Blue? I don't know why, but I really liked the sound of it...interesting sound IMO.

I believe this playlist is the continuation to the second half of the recording, which is my favourite part. I've only checked few tracks and they seem to match what is on my CD.
I agree about the disney references you mentioned. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #6,104 of 9,368
Hilarious. This thread kicks ass.

On Karajan: His discs from the 70s are excellent imo. I enjoy listening to his discs rather than his camera-angled-upwards videos. Now with Bernstein conducting the VPO in Beethoven's piano concertos (Zimerman), those videos are a real treat. They were LB's last live perfs in Vienna, and he is literally jumping on the podium, getting into it fully. Nothing like Karajan who is like a mannequin.....

Lang Lang: Hilarious.

Rattle: Don't like him with the BPO. He did a pretty good Mahler 3 and 4 with the Birmingham, however.  Rattle apparently did great things for the musicians of the BPO, improving governance for them, etc. Will be interesting to see/hear what he does once he assumes the helm at the LSO.

As for Abbado, I enjoy his late Mahlers with the Vienna, Chicago, and Berlin. That guy gets around. For me though, Abbado remains an enigma, he's not someone I crave or would await with held breath a remastered recording. Strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back