Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 13, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #5,897 of 9,368
For modern instruments Seasons, Menuhin is a dark horse. I think his recording with the Camerata Lysy Gstaad is excellent, but no-one bothers to listen to it, because, well, it's Menuhin. (Recorded in the early 80s, thankfully just before age began to cripple his technique.)
It's a pity and kind of sad, that Menuhin didn't recognize the right moment to retreat from soloing, producing many years after recordings of sadly poor instrumental playing. Instead of being remembered as one of the greatest musicians, for many of the younger generation mentioning his name evokes only ironic comments.

Also a shame his 60s Mozart recordings are in such dated sound. I doubt they'll ever be "restored".

I love Lindsay's Beethoven!! Alexander Quartet is my second favorite at this moment..

On Arte Nova or their later cycle on Foghorn? I notice their slow movements got a lot faster.

Beethoven has beautiful strings works. Any recommendation for Mozart's ?

Italiano quartet for the complete set. Berg (on Teldec/Warner NOT EMI) for 14-23. Also, Chilingirian for 20-23.
Quintets - Orlando (Bis/Brilliant)
Piano trios - Fontenay (or possibly Borodin)
If you get the Emerson's recording of the late quartets, bear in mind the last 4 were recorded 20 years after the Haydn 6, and aren't as good.

For Vivaldi oboe concertos, Schilli on Naxos is excellent.

Has anybody here listened to Andre Cluytens' set of Beeth symphs, Berlin Phil?  It gets some mixed revs, either love it or not.....somehow a Frenchman conducting Germans in Beethoven seems like an odd combo, to put it politely.

I heard it years ago and passsed it on. Recorded in the 1950s, sound is tubby and reverby, drums predominating.

I just love the whole sound of this on k701s. Can listen to it any time. Is it Classical? I'm not a total expert?

Sure, it's classical. It's late late late late late late Romantic! :)
Probably WIlliams' greatest achievement, a modern version of Korngold's swashbuckling scores, with added influences from Prokofiev and other tonal moderns.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #5,902 of 9,368
Why is Kenneth Williams on the cover?
biggrin.gif

Not a fan of Petrenko myself, but good luck.

Shostakovich to me always reminded me of an old grumpy Harry Potter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back