Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 10, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #5,795 of 9,368
  I Musici's 4 seasons is the one I go for (the one with Pina Carmirelli).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vivaldi-Four-Seasons-Antonio/dp/B0000040VO/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441928251&sr=8-1&keywords=I+musici+four+seasons+pina+carmirelli

Their Italian baroque is always a pleasure to listen to, not least their Albinoni.

Thank you for the recommendation. Thankfully i have it already, a pleasure indeed.

I liked very much your recommendation CM, the bass it's more for my taste and indeed is quite bright, but the HD650 do not make it harsh.

It would be nice to find "TEH BEST", quite hard actually, every performance has a movement or aproach i do not like. But is not that the point ? Meanwhile i have to listen a lot of beautiful music.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #5,796 of 9,368
I have quite a few 4 seasons but always come back to the "old" BIS recording:
211K84D2DYL.jpg

Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble, Niels Erik Sparf. Energetic, dynamic, full of tension.
The worst of what I have is Anne Sophie Mutter with Karajan, VPO.
The polar opposite of the Scandinavian recording, heavy velvet, parfumistic almost.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #5,797 of 9,368
4 Seasons is so frequently played. Like Beethoven's 5th or Pachelbel's Canon.

My fav 4 seasons is by Simon Standage, Pinnock, English Concert. It's period instrument, but still good.

For modern instruments Seasons, Menuhin is a dark horse. I think his recording with the Camerata Lysy Gstaad is excellent, but no-one bothers to listen to it, because, well, it's Menuhin. (Recorded in the early 80s, thankfully just before age began to cripple his technique.)

I have the Newton reissue of I Musici doing all the opus concertos. It's a terrific resource, but I haven't yet worked up the nerve to go through the whole thing. The box of Harnoy playing the cello concertos is also excellent; some would say it's too romantic, but she never distends the music, just makes the most of the slow movements. I much prefer her to Wallfisch's rather brutal treatment of the same works. The other gem of my Vivaldi collection is the oboe concertos on Naxos, played by Schilli.

I personally don't like Barenboim neither as a pianist, even less as a conductor.

The records he conducted in the 1970s are very good (perhaps because he did not yet think he was a Maestro Grande); the sound quality, not so much.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #5,799 of 9,368
For Vivaldi seasons, try fresh renditions of Onofri/Il Giardino Armonico and Biondi/Europa Galante. Both excellent examples of Italian HIP.
For the best of both worlds combining period with modern juicy playing, nothing IMHO tops Carmignola. There are two versions, one with the Venice Baroque Orchestra and second with the Sonatori de la Gioiosa Marca. If I would have to take only one recording of Seasons to the lonely island, it would definitely be Giuliano Carmignola's Vivaldi. 

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #5,800 of 9,368
For modern instruments Seasons, Menuhin is a dark horse. I think his recording with the Camerata Lysy Gstaad is excellent, but no-one bothers to listen to it, because, well, it's Menuhin. (Recorded in the early 80s, thankfully just before age began to cripple his technique.)

It's a pity and kind of sad, that Menuhin didn't recognize the right moment to retreat from soloing, producing many years after recordings of sadly poor instrumental playing. Instead of being remembered as one of the greatest musicians, for many of the younger generation mentioning his name evokes only ironic comments.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #5,801 of 9,368
  4 Seasons is so frequently played. Like Beethoven's 5th or Pachelbel's Canon.

My fav 4 seasons is by Simon Standage, Pinnock, English Concert. It's period instrument, but still good.

A recording of the 4 Seasons I wholeheartedly recommend is with Nils-Erik Sparf and Drottningholm Baroque Ensamble on BIS. Wonderfully played and recorded. Also perfrmed on period instruments fwiw.

Sep 11, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #5,802 of 9,368
  I have quite a few 4 seasons but always come back to the "old" BIS recording:
211K84D2DYL.jpg

Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble, Niels Erik Sparf. Energetic, dynamic, full of tension.
The worst of what I have is Anne Sophie Mutter with Karajan, VPO.
The polar opposite of the Scandinavian recording, heavy velvet, parfumistic almost.

I pre-ordered this CD. Allegri's Miserere is stunning. you can check previews in iTunes.

http://www.amazon.com/Cantate-Domino-Sistine-Chapel-Choir/dp/B0125Q33CS

A recording of the 4 Seasons I wholeheartedly recommend is with Nils-Erik Sparf and Drottningholm Baroque Ensamble on BIS. Wonderfully played and recorded. Also perfrmed on period instruments fwiw.

Sooooo many versions of the 4S.  geez, that's why it's a "staple" in the classical music areana. Surprising thing is that I have never heard it in concert. Anywhere. Including NYC, where I had lived for a few years.

The Sistine Chapel album looks interesting, but I have bad mems of that place. I strained my neck when trying to stare upwards at the f--- ceiling frescoes by that guy Picasso!  
eek.gif
   In the end, it wasn't worth it -- unless you brought along binoculars!

i just pulled the trigger on this 4 Seasons. $2 bucks used CD!

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #5,804 of 9,368
  The Sistine Chapel album looks interesting, but I have bad mems of that place. I strained my neck when trying to stare upwards at the f--- ceiling frescoes by that guy Picasso!  
eek.gif
   In the end, it wasn't worth it -- unless you brought along binoculars!

My mother and my sister(btw she is a pharmacist) went to Sistine Chapel. I and my father don't ;( Boys always works. Ladies always enjoy. not fair. I will visit sistine someday!

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #5,805 of 9,368
  My mother and my sister(btw she is a pharmacist) went to Sistine Chapel. I and my father don't ;( Boys always works. Ladies always enjoy. not fair. I will visit sistine someday!

It's way over-hyped, so be prepared. And tiring. Especially with all the crowds.
In Rome, go to the Capitoline museums (Roman art) and the Forum (spectacular ruins). The Borghese Gallery is good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back