Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 9, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #5,776 of 9,368
Consiśtency = even handed, balanced across the range of performance and artistic variables.

It's subjective and complicated. Don't worry about it.
biggrin.gif

Understood, i don't pay attention to those details at the level you do, perhaps. Thanks for explain!

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #5,779 of 9,368
Understood, i don't pay attention to those details at the level you do, perhaps. Thanks for explain!

Artists like perahia and pires try to interpret what the composer intended to the best of their abilities, they try not to colour their performances with their personal idiosyncracies. Barenboim on the other hand tends to play how he wants depending on what he feels. As a result some performances (especially live) sound quite odd and unbalanced.

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #5,781 of 9,368
Yeah at the root of it everything is an interpretation. There are however stylistic frameworks on how certain composers 'should' be played. Typically Mozart is played with elegance, lightness of touch and so on. Barenboim plays mozart more like beethoven.

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #5,783 of 9,368
Artists like perahia and pires try to interpret what the composer intended to the best of their abilities, they try not to colour their performances with their personal idiosyncracies. Barenboim on the other hand tends to play how he wants depending on what he feels. As a result some performances (especially live) sound quite odd and unbalanced.

I tought of Barenboim always the opposite. He don't like to change tempo and play what's written in the sheet, maybe is a matter of interpretation. But i agree, in some performances, i didn't like the lack of fluency, for example, Mozart. I like his Beethoven sonatas, at least most of them, but i agree with you, he play Mozart like Beethoven.

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #5,784 of 9,368
  I tought of Barenboim always the opposite. He don't like to change tempo and play what's written in the sheet, maybe is a matter of interpretation. But i agree, in some performances, i didn't like the lack of fluency, for example, Mozart. I like his Beethoven sonatas, at least most of them, but i agree with you, he play Mozart like Beethoven.

I like his beethoven. Don't like his chopin and mozart. His chopin is sometimes quite dire 

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #5,786 of 9,368
  I should listen to his Chopin, never did, but i have Rubinstein performance, i doubt i could find a better one.

Alfred cortot plays chopin unlike anybody else, even compared to rubinstein. Beautiful improvisation like playing. 

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #5,787 of 9,368

No, I have been meaning to go, although I have been to Vienna several times. It's on the must do list!

You should then hurry up, they almost shut it down last year because of the lack of funds. After some hefty protests and online petition, they decided to keep it going. 

Barenboim on the other hand tends to play how he wants depending on what he feels. As a result some performances (especially live) sound quite odd and unbalanced.

I personally don't like Barenboim neither as a pianist, even less as a conductor. But his books are great readings. Very philosophical and yet practical, I enjoyed reading how his brilliant mind works.

There are however stylistic frameworks on how certain composers 'should' be played. Typically Mozart is played with elegance, lightness of touch and so on. .

I like his Beethoven sonatas, at least most of them, but i agree with you, he play Mozart like Beethoven.

Horowitz said in one of his movies something like: I play all music romantic. But in a different styles 
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #5,790 of 9,368
4 Seasons is so frequently played. Like Beethoven's 5th or Pachelbel's Canon.

My fav 4 seasons is by Simon Standage, Pinnock, English Concert. It's period instrument, but still good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back