Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 9, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #5,761 of 9,368
  Indeed, but yet it's more pleasant to me listen to Bach than Liszt, for example. Different times, but i love analyze Bach structure, like if he was an arquitect or painter, Liszt is a Rubik's cube to my ears, way harder to analyze and enjoy.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I never thought of Liszt as being difficult to analyse. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #5,762 of 9,368
I shall check his Beethoven. Thanks.

Angela hewitt records on faziolis 
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #5,763 of 9,368
Yes, Faziolis. Uncommon.

I found the Schiff set of Schubert sonatas....all on a Bosendorfer. Problem is that he is not my fav for Schubert piano.
:mad:

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #5,764 of 9,368
Yes, Faziolis. Uncommon.

I found the Schiff set of Schubert sonatas....all on a Bosendorfer. Problem is that he is not my fav for Schubert piano.
mad.gif

Would be more common, if Steinway wasn't so stingy about their artists trying out new instruments. Faziolis are a level up even from Steinways. Do you like pleyels?

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #5,765 of 9,368
Would be more common, if Steinway wasn't so stingy about their artists trying out new instruments. Faziolis are a level up even from Steinways. Do you like pleyels?

I don't think I have ever heard a Pleyel.

Have you been to the Museum of Musical Instruments in Vienna? A very fascinating collection of Beethovenian period pianos there.

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #5,766 of 9,368
I don't think I have ever heard a Pleyel.

Have you been to the Museum of Musical Instruments in Vienna? A very fascinating collection of Beethovenian period pianos there.

Cortot records on pleyels and it's what chopin used to play, very sweet tone.

No, I have been meaning to go, although I have been to Vienna several times. It's on the must do list!

40 part motet 
eek.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #5,768 of 9,368
Congrats on your new HP.

For me, Uchida does the mozart sonatas very well. Eschenbach too. Barenboim's a dark horse with Moz Sonatas, imo.

But do Mozzie's piano ctos. Anda, Curzon, Casadesus, Perahia, Brendel, and Uchida with the ECO.

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #5,769 of 9,368
  Trying my new headphones i got some new music, between them, Mozart piano sonatas.

What do you think about Daniel Barenboim K310 version? Best quality i could find on youtube.

pires' mozart sonatas are wonderful. All her recordings are wonderful tbh lol

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #5,770 of 9,368
Congrats on your new HP.

For me, Uchida does the mozart sonatas very well. Eschenbach too. Barenboim's a dark horse with Moz Sonatas, imo.

But do Mozzie's piano ctos. Anda, Curzon, Casadesus, Perahia, Brendel, and Uchida with the ECO.

Uchida's K466 is my favorite, i should listen the others from her. What do you mean by "dark horse", can you explain ?

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #5,771 of 9,368
  pires' mozart sonatas are wonderful. All her recordings are wonderful tbh lol

Yes, I forgot her....so many on the tree.

Uchida's K466 is my favorite, i should listen the others from her. What do you mean by "dark horse", can you explain ?

Not often viewed as a prime Mozartian, Barenboim is a bit inconsistent across the sonatas. His Moz ctos are fairly decent (ECO mostly, not BPO), although I found his tempo too slow for cto #21 andante.

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #5,773 of 9,368
What is "pre-emphasis"?  Is that like EQ-ing one part of the Freq Spectrum?

It was EQing up the treble, for which I've seen various rationales.

I think it was a practice lingering from early noise reduction techniques - the treble was boosted when recording, then manually reduced while mastering, thus obtaining a fairly natural sound with less analog hiss. During the 1980s, a lot of analog masters were put on CD without allowing for this.

Mendelssohn quarts: They may indeed be his finest genre. His symphonies I don't listen to much, and his songs are a bit too bland compared to Schubert or Brahms.  The one set I enjoy is the Coull Quartet:

Yes, I became aware of that set only recently, as Hyperion doesn't put samples on Amazon. I did like the Coulls in Prokofiev, but OTOH I found their Schubert dull. Will investigate further....

Schubert's Notturno is quite Spanish-sounding, isn't it? Speaking of Spanish, I had a piece of music going round my head the other day - took me a while to work out it was Elgar's piano quintet (1st mvt).

Schiff Schubert - didn't like it either. His constant hesitations are infuriating.

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #5,775 of 9,368
Consiśtency = even handed, balanced across the range of performance and artistic variables.

It's subjective and complicated. Don't worry about it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back