Best classical recordings...ever!
Jun 6, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #4,006 of 9,368
Folks, I need your inputs. I have enjoyed Haydn's Piano Trios by Beaux Arts Trio (Philips 9CDs), for many years. Now, I am looking for other groups. Period instruments worth exploring for these trios?

Cheers

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #4,007 of 9,368
Folks, I need your inputs. I have enjoyed Haydn's Piano Trios by Beaux Arts Trio (Philips 9CDs), for many years. Now, I am looking for other groups. Period instruments worth exploring for these trios?

Cheers

http://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Last-4-Piano-Trios/dp/B0000028UD/

Jun 6, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #4,008 of 9,368
Horowitz has such a bizarre hand position. How can he play as he does with the hands so flat.

Everyone used to wonder at that. As Anton Rubinstein said, "Play it with your nose, but make it sound good!"

Was it Rubinstein that said the Traumerei is too easy for beginners but too difficult for musicians? I can't recall...

It was Schnabel talking about Mozart sonatas.

:beerchug:

Jun 6, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #4,009 of 9,368
^ I was wondering. I always thought it was directed at Mozart's work.

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #4,012 of 9,368
Everyone used to wonder at that. As Anton Rubinstein said, "Play it with your nose, but make it sound good!"
It was Schnabel talking about Mozart sonatas.

beerchug.gif

In Rachmaninoff's prelude in c# minor, during the middle section I literally have to play a note with my nose because the 1.5 octave reach is too much for me !
After that, I resume the chromatic notes with a  jump from my left hand lol

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #4,013 of 9,368

This is the best recording of a piano, and the best recording of the Liszt's 3rd Rhapsody I have ever heard ! He plays on a 9 foot Steinway which has some pretty thunderous low notes in this recording which still capture the weight and timbre one would hear in person. Thankfully I have a clean copy of this vinyl record.

Jun 12, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #4,014 of 9,368
In Rachmaninoff's prelude in c# minor, during the middle section I literally have to play a note with my nose because the 1.5 octave reach is too much for me !
After that, I resume the chromatic notes with a  jump from my left hand lol

Try his third concerto third movement. After the intro, the chordal progressions in the right hand is a wrist killer.

Jun 12, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #4,016 of 9,368

This is the best recording of a piano, and the best recording of the Liszt's 3rd Rhapsody I have ever heard ! He plays on a 9 foot Steinway which has some pretty thunderous low notes in this recording which still capture the weight and timbre one would hear in person. Thankfully I have a clean copy of this vinyl record.

that's a great tip, I had never heard of the guy, I confess. I ordered the LPs on amazon. Luckily there seems to be plenty of them going around on the used market

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #4,017 of 9,368
Kevin Bazzana, who wrote two books about Gould (1997, 2003), later wrote one about Nyiregyházi (2007).

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #4,018 of 9,368
  that's a great tip, I had never heard of the guy, I confess. I ordered the LPs on amazon. Luckily there seems to be plenty of them going around on the used market

Unfortunately He didn't record very many albums. My vinyl rig is not up to par with my digital, so your mileage may vary with the vinyl album but it still sounds good. Either way, I don't see how someone would not enjoy the recording.

As for the Rach3, I always thought pianists had more trouble keeping those triplets in proper time ! The subdivided notes in a very fast tempo can be the bottleneck regarding fluency of a passage. some pianists can't produce the triplets quick enough and it weighs down the phrasing.

Jun 12, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #4,019 of 9,368
  Unfortunately He didn't record very many albums. My vinyl rig is not up to par with my digital, so your mileage may vary with the vinyl album but it still sounds good. Either way, I don't see how someone would not enjoy the recording.

As for the Rach3, I always thought pianists had more trouble keeping those triplets in proper time ! The subdivided notes in a very fast tempo can be the bottleneck regarding fluency of a passage. some pianists can't produce the triplets quick enough and it weighs down the phrasing.

Which triplets are you referring to?

The ones in the second movement? Or the ones in the third movement?

I think the most difficult part is the third movement coda, where the left hand bass octaves are flying around.

Jun 12, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #4,020 of 9,368
  Which triplets are you referring to?

The ones in the second movement? Or the ones in the third movement?

I think the most difficult part is the third movement coda, where the left hand bass octaves are flying around.

I was referring to the third movement. As for the left hand octaves, I guess a Chopin etude could give some pretty good practice for that lol
I heard a rumor that Horowitz once played Chopin's Etude in c minor with octaves in  the left hand in tempo!  I tried myself once, much slower than the written tempo of course LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back