Best classical recordings...ever!
Apr 8, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #3,391 of 9,368
  Just listened to Beethoven's op. 101 played by Sviatoslav Richter, live in Prague...

Damn
eek.gif

Talking about Richter, what a bargain:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Decca-Philips-Recordings-Limited/dp/B00N9MWVVW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428490699&sr=8-1&keywords=richter

Less than 2 USD per CD.

The only fault, and unfortunately a huge one, the WTKlavier is missing...

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #3,393 of 9,368

Everytime I listen to this one, I cannot believe how great it is. The Schubert is great but the Tchaikovsky is incredible, so strong, so vibrant. I do not remember if the version of the 4th is the same as in the DG boxset of Mravinsky but anyway, must Have.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #3,395 of 9,368
  I recently fell in love with Robert Schumann's 1st Symphony. Does anyone have a good recommendation for that piece in particular?

Thanks in advance! 

1. George Szell and Cleveland.
2. Repeat #1
smile.gif

3. Sawallisch is also exceptional.

Also, a bit historical but, the recording Erich Leinsdorf did with Cleveland is also excellent despite it`s rough sonics.

There are some others as well, but these stand out to me.

Incidentally, Schumann`s 1st is amongst my favorite works.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #3,397 of 9,368
  Listening to Szell with the Cleveland Orchestra and I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. :D

Thank you very much for the recommendation!

If you want to hear the Mahler orchestrations, check out Gewandhaus + Chailly.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #3,399 of 9,368

I have to confess that I do not understand your post. What does the "Mahler orchestration" means talking about the 1st of Schumann?

Mahler did a bit of "touching up" on some of Schumann's orchestration in the latter's symphonies. Nothing major, a tempo modification here and there, shoring up some timpani parts, removing a couple of repeats, beefing up horn parts. Nothing as stark as his "add E♭ clarinets to Beethoven's 9th" ^_^

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #3,400 of 9,368

So you were talking about "Mahler the conductor"? do we have "official" version of his annotations to be able to know what was his alterations?

To get back to the subject of this thread, I did not see this one pass but I really appreciated it today at work:

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #3,401 of 9,368

So you were talking about "Mahler the conductor"? do we have "official" version of his annotations to be able to know what was his alterations?

To get back to the subject of this thread, I did not see this one pass but I really appreciated it today at work:

Not to take anything away from this particular post(which I`ve not heard but am curious about) but:

Actually, we have been addressing the "subject of this thread".
Including the recent Schumann references.

Regarding the Chailly /Mahler;I found those recordings interesting(in a  way) but not terribly compelling.
The performances of Szell and Sawallisch are more compelling IMO.
In fact, I`m not a betting man, but I`d be willing to bet Mr. Chailly would perhaps not have recorded Schumann unless Mahler was involved.
evil_smiley.gif

Also, for the record, Schumann`s orchestration is often "touched up" for performance.
Including by George Szell.

EDIT:
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #3,402 of 9,368

I'm unsure if there is an official published version or if these are kept more in the matter of Mahler's Beethoven "Retuschen." I'd have to dig out the CD as the internet doesn't give a quick answer.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #3,403 of 9,368

Guys, this is very interesting. Would you have 2 recommendations of the 1st of Schumann in order to compare the 2 orchestration approaches?

I would appreciate something caricatural, something that really shows up the differences.

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #3,405 of 9,368

You are 100% right, this is just that I wanted more references. I am just too much impatient...

Guys, this is very interesting. Would you have 2 recommendations of the 1st of Schumann in order to compare the 2 orchestration approaches?

I would appreciate something caricatural, something that really shows up the differences.

Try Barenboim vs. Gardiner.

EDIT: Not because they are my favorites but they are truly as different interpretively as I can imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back