Best classical recordings...ever!
Jan 17, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #2,851 of 9,368
There is a entire Thread on Mahler which I went through completely and then posted my my "purchase summary"
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/37858/mahler-symphonies-favorite-recordings/3690#post_11059227

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #2,852 of 9,368
  I thought I had heard everything Tchaikovsky did, but I missed that one. Gonna have to order it as soon as I log out of here.
In the meantime in the interest of getting a complete Mahler symphony collection started, what would everyone suggest. Get a boxed set by someone (who?) or go on a symphony by symphony basis. I guess it comes down to, is there a real good boxed set out there that would do justice to all 10 of the symphonys? If individual recordings are the way to go, anybody care to post suggestions for 1 thru 10? From what I have been reading it looks like Solti and Bernstein do a pretty good job with Mahler, I have always liked Bernstein so will probably lean that way for the most part.

Of course, one can never go wrong with Mahler and Bernie.
As an alternative, I would say this cycle here has his place in the hall of fame as well:

Mahler is the kind of composer that a complete cycle with one conductor won`t bring what you are looking for. Therefore, there are mixed cycles that one should listen. A good start is:

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #2,855 of 9,368
  Of course one could argue that such A or B conductor had (or has) the perfect Mahler reading. I would say, that "my perfect" cycle has 10 different conductors.

My "perfect set" has three Mahler 2ds (Kubelik, Stokowski, Tennstedt) and two 6ths (later Bernstein, Szell for sentimental value) and no Mahler 4ths, 8ths, or so-called 10ths. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #2,856 of 9,368

My "perfect set" has three Mahler 2ds (Kubelik, Stokowski, Tennstedt) and two 6ths (later Bernstein, Szell for sentimental value) and no Mahler 4ths, 8ths, or so-called 10ths. 
evil_smiley.gif

The Adagio of the 10th is a fine piece of music and complete enough. What exactly is wrong with the 4th? (I agree on the 8th; just never worked for me.)

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #2,859 of 9,368

One of my absolute favourites from the living stereo box set. I really love the folk tinged music - added to that, once you hit play, the sound of the orchestra hits you like a freight train. 

Poor Smetana, why did he get the small-print treatment? Vltava is just as good a piece as the other 2 :-/

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #2,861 of 9,368

Poor Smetana, why did he get the small-print treatment? Vltava is just as good a piece as the other 2 :-/

I totally agree. Not sure what's behind that. The CD I have also has excerpts from Wagner's Tristan und Isolde and Tannhäuser. 

Bit hard to pick one from the Living Stereo Box. I would say 90% of the contents are top stuff.

For the discussion here, I would like to point two that have a special feeling:

<...>

Ha yes indeed, lots to choose from. I also enjoy reading the notes in the box set whilst going through the collection. 

--------

Finished moving house after much stress and delay. Finally today I get to relax with music. Some new additions arrived in the post just in time:

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #2,862 of 9,368
  Bit hard to pick one from the Living Stereo Box. I would say 90% of the contents are top stuff.

For the discussion here, I would like to point two that have a special feeling:

Analogue Productions just released an SACD of this (but without the Song of the Nightingale). 

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #2,863 of 9,368
Jan 27, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #2,864 of 9,368

Looks like vol.3 is coming - due out in March. More details here
Quick glance of the contents shows music which were recently discussed/mentioned in this thread - Italian symphony, Scheherazade, Vltava, From the New World , and last but not least, everybody's favourite 'Eine kleine Nachtmusik'
tongue_smile.gif

I wish the vol.1 box wasn't so expensive. This 3rd volume appeals to me more than the 2nd one.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #2,865 of 9,368
A lot of wonderful stuff on that box. I'll order it day one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back