Best classical recordings...ever!
Nov 15, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #2,596 of 9,368
  Anyone find Bernsteins Mahler a bit slow? 

His 9th with the Concertgebouw must be slowest rendition ever--the last movement is 30 mins long. But it's also the most searing, painful reading busting at its seams. Sometimes unbearably emotional. For Mahler fans looking for the greatest extreme, definitely check it out.  

I agree about the later 2nd symphony though, the last movement is drawn out to the point that you end up anticipating what comes next.

EDIT: The recording was with the concertgebouw, not vienna.

Nov 15, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #2,597 of 9,368
  His 9th with the vienna must be slowest rendition ever--the last movement is 30 mins long. But it's also the most searing, painful reading busting at its seams. Sometimes unbearably emotional. For Mahler fans looking for the greatest extreme, definitely check it out.  

I agree about the later 2nd symphony though, the last movement is drawn out to the point that you end up anticipating what comes next.

Im on it - have it with the box set I got. Didn't get around to listening to it yet. 

Nov 15, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #2,598 of 9,368
  His 9th with the vienna must be slowest rendition ever--the last movement is 30 mins long. But it's also the most searing, painful reading busting at its seams. Sometimes unbearably emotional. For Mahler fans looking for the greatest extreme, definitely check it out.  

Sure like your avatar!

Nov 15, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #2,599 of 9,368

Im on it - have it with the box set I got. Didn't get around to listening to it yet. 

Sure like your avatar!

Thanks!

Also wanted to mention I got a little confused--I meant Bernstein with the concertgebouw, not Vienna. I'm not even sure there is a vienna recording lol.

As long as it's this one, you got the one I'm talking about.

Nov 15, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #2,600 of 9,368
Love the Erté art on that set; the collection I got just has his «M» on the sleeve, and pictures of Berny on the actual CD cases, doh!

Nov 16, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #2,601 of 9,368

Nah, turn it up to 11 and never look back! BTW, anyone have thoughts on Gielen's set?

Gielen's 9th is something special indeed.
I posted it a while back and no-one commented.
I find it among the most insightful and dedicated recordings of this masterpiece.
The other symphonies he's recorded solidly as well but his 9th is amazing.

Gielen's an interesting guy and completely neglected in this thread.
 His output stresses difficult modern music in prolific abundance. Admittedly there is inconsistency in his work but....

Nov 16, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #2,602 of 9,368

Oh come on, "hilariously overdramatic" is the essence of Mahler, and who better to deliver than Berny?

Despite Mr. Bernstein's role in popularizing Mahler's music, He often bores me.
I'd even take Boulez' Mahler over Bernstein for the most part 
very_evil_smiley.gif

That being said, his 3rd on DG was my introduction to Mahler and I found it quite compelling.

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #2,603 of 9,368

Gielen's 9th is something special indeed.
I posted it a while back and no-one commented.
I find it among the most insightful and dedicated recordings of this masterpiece.
The other symphonies he's recorded solidly as well but his 9th is amazing.

Gielen's an interesting guy and completely neglected in this thread.
 His output stresses difficult modern music in prolific abundance. Admittedly there is inconsistency in his work but....

Damnit, now I'm going to have to get it. Thanks for the rec!

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #2,604 of 9,368

Thanks!

Also wanted to mention I got a little confused--I meant Bernstein with the concertgebouw, not Vienna. I'm not even sure there is a vienna recording lol.

As long as it's this one, you got the one I'm talking about.

The recording of the Ninth in the DG DVD box is with the Wiener Philharmoniker, as are all the others except for the Ely Cathedral performance of No. 2. It is more consistent cycle than the DG CD cycle in many ways, although all three have merits. The Berlin Philharmonic Ninth (from an Amnesty International concert) also has a huge reputation. It is powerful, and less idiosyncratic than the Concertgebouw performance. In Amsterdam, the spirit of Mengelberg, having got nowhere with Haitink, must have been waiting to ambush Lenny. I bet they both enjoyed it. 

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #2,607 of 9,368
I heard Glenn's 5 Beethoven Concertos this weekend ... sublime.
Maybe the 5th with Stokowski is my favorite. Such a pity that they didn't record more together.

The Sony 3 CD issue:
81r4WnM2tKL._SX522_.jpg

Here a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXRpSu5oRjM

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #2,608 of 9,368
I like Gould right up to the point where he trolls Mozart. As such, I'm fine without him in my collection :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back