Best classical recordings...ever!
Jan 22, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #1,246 of 9,368
Barbirolli is early 70s and stereo. It was on an inexpensive twofer CD set on Seraphim. I have that and the old LP.

I haven't heard Bernstein, but this stuff requires a light touch in places. Not Bernstein's meat.
It'd have to be very early 70s as JB died in 1970.

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #1,247 of 9,368
Probably released after he died then.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #1,249 of 9,368
Sorry to bring the old Abbado subject back, but I think it is a great opportunity.
A lot of concerts for free.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/classical-music-news/abbado-berliner-philharmoniker-digital-concert-hall

that's a great tip, thanks! Watching Ein Deutsches Requiem performance as I write this. A priori I did not think Brahms was Abbado's territory, but this is a very emotional performance (particularly given the circumstances) with the bonus of Abbado's clarity and discipline. I liked even Bryn Terfel solos who skipped the usual mugging. What a wonderful timbre he has when he's focused on the singing...

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #1,250 of 9,368
Hello,
What you can recommend better than this one:

http://janinejansen.com/mendelssohn-bruch-violin-concertos/

Ideally modern high resolution recording?

Thanks a lot,
Krzysztof

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #1,252 of 9,368
  that's a great tip, thanks! Watching Ein Deutsches Requiem performance as I write this. A priori I did not think Brahms was Abbado's territory, but this is a very emotional performance (particularly given the circumstances) with the bonus of Abbado's clarity and discipline. I liked even Bryn Terfel solos who skipped the usual mugging. What a wonderful timbre he has when he's focused on the singing...

What was a great surprise (for me at least) was Dvorak's New World Symp. I think Dvorak is not Abbado's cup of tea.
I am quite a fan of Reiner and CSO but this Abbado's performance got me. Smooth and precise. Worth listening (and in this case, watching as well).

Jan 23, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #1,253 of 9,368
  I don't know about Bruch, but for Mendelssohn I do like this one:
(Not sure if it is better than the one you mentioned)

I really enjoy that Mendelssohn record. I still remember the first time I heard it. I couldn't believe anyone had written anything so beautiful.

The Beethoven is amusing because I sense that Heifetz and Munch might not have agreed about how to play the piece (or the composer?). So I prefer Heifetz' 1940 version with Toscanini, even though it's not clear that Heifetz and Toscanini agreed either.

Heifetz's Bruch is fine: it has an exciting 1st movement and he's certainly very capable in that repertoire.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #1,255 of 9,368
Sorry to bring the old Abbado subject back, but I think it is a great opportunity.
A lot of concerts for free.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/classical-music-news/abbado-berliner-philharmoniker-digital-concert-hall

Thanks for the heads-up. This was a great tip.

The Buddha.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #1,256 of 9,368
Hey guys, 

What recordings should I get for the "best" (relative) interpretations of the Beethoven Piano Sonatas and Chopin Nocturnes? 

Thanks! 

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #1,257 of 9,368
  What recordings should I get for the "best" (relative) interpretations of the Beethoven Piano Sonatas and Chopin Nocturnes? 

If you're looking for sets, for Chopin try Rubinstein's RCA set.

I can't really recommend any Beethoven set, though Ashkenazy's has worked as a compromise in giving one an idea of the pieces. You'll want individual performances, such as:

Pathetique: several, including Richter, Serkin
Moonlight and Opp. 27/1, 31/1: Gould
Tempest: Richter
Waldstein: Hofmann, Horowitz, Pollini
Appassionata: Richter
Les Adieux: many, including Cliburn, Serkin
Opp. 109, 110, 111: Serkin (later version on DG), Solomon

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #1,258 of 9,368

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #1,259 of 9,368
Shostakovich was the Beethoven of the XXth century. Lived through horrible age, in the midst of Stalinist terror and also saw the II. WW. His work reflected the horrors, terror and fear of his age. Sometimes he used double speech and referred not only the tremendous crimes committed by one revolutionary regime, but the other one also. This particular symphony is about the crimes committed by the Nazis against Jewish people. Today is the day of remembering on Holocaust, the day when the Auschwitz camp was liberated in 1945. Be here the magnificient work of Shostakovich for this occasion. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #1,260 of 9,368
If you're looking for sets, for Chopin try Rubinstein's RCA set.

I can't really recommend any Beethoven set, though Ashkenazy's has worked as a compromise in giving one an idea of the pieces. You'll want individual performances, such as:

Pathetique: several, including Richter, Serkin

Moonlight and Opp. 27/1, 31/1: Gould

Tempest: Richter

Waldstein: Hofmann, Horowitz, Pollini

Appassionata: Richter

Les Adieux: many, including Cliburn, Serkin

Opp. 109, 110, 111: Serkin (later version on DG), Solomon

You could include Claudio Arrau for Moonlight and Apassionata.

Thanks for the heads-up. This was a great tip.

The Buddha.

Cool. Glad that you guys liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back