Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 16, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #1,084 of 9,368
  Milan Kundera and a man who doesn't know what to do with his hat. Must be time for bed...
Quinto will enjoy the unbiased account on this collaboration : "eminent soprano Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and eccentric pianist Glenn Gould..."
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Sony/88725441362

Thanks! I bought this on cd about a year ago, very interesting account of two genius' though incompatible minds who recorderded some lieder by Strauss..
I really like the Ophelia lieder

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #1,085 of 9,368

I'm not trying to be a (total)pain in the #@# and please don't take me too personally.
Like many humans I sometimes try to justify/bias my emotions and opinions.

Sometimes I'm not happy with facts though
angry_face.gif
For example:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/aug/24/classicalmusicandopera.secondworldwar

For me the important thing is the music but people are complicated...

I too am human
biggrin.gif
and I wholeheartedly agree..it's the music that counts, the rest is trivial blabla..

which can be fun 
wink_face.gif

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #1,086 of 9,368
Dec 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,087 of 9,368
I know this is not a "recommend me" thread, but I was wondering if anybody knows a good complete Vivaldi's Four Season CD. I've been dying to get it, but there are so many options out there.

I looked at this one, but has some not so good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi-Seasons-Concertos-Meyrick-Alexander/dp/B00000632N/

First time posting in this thread, although I have been really enjoying the discusion and recomendations!
I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Il-Cimento-DellArmonia-DellInventione-Op/dp/B00004T00M/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387208685&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=il+cimento+dela+armonia+e+la+invencione

It plays also on regular CD players, will try the one recomended above..

I think someone else recomended the La Stravaganza, (Vivaldi), I really liked this series of violin concertos, a Vivaldi I didn't knew...

http://www.channelclassics.com/podger-19503-1.html

Antonio

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #1,088 of 9,368
I know this is not a "recommend me" thread, but I was wondering if anybody knows a good complete Vivaldi's Four Season CD. I've been dying to get it, but there are so many options out there.

I looked at this one, but has some not so good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi-Seasons-Concertos-Meyrick-Alexander/dp/B00000632N/

Fist post in this trhead but really enjoying the discusion and the recomendations, I have this one:

In amazon:/Il-Cimento-DellArmonia-DellInventione-Op/dp/B00004T00M/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387208685&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=il+cimento+dela+armonia+e+la+invencione

(I can't post direct links, so hope this works In amazon is the www dot amazon dot com, channel classics is www dot channelclassics dot com)

Also, for some more Vivaldi "La Stravaganza" is a series of violin concertos that showed me a Vivaldi I didn't knew...

In channel classics /podger-19503-1.html

regards,

Antonio

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #1,089 of 9,368
not to antagonize other recommendations, but for Vivaldi I think is best to stick to HIP performances. 
Some of my favourite Quattro Stagioni:
Concerto Italiano recording is the most balanced I have heard, in the sense that is an ensemble performance, not a violin bravura piece, and the most idiomatic.

If you want to be stunned by baroque violin technique, give this one a try. The solos in the Summer concerto always make me shake my head in disbelief

this is an even better performance from a virtuoso who really gets Vivaldi. Pity for the muddy sound

Finally, once you have heard a few "standard" performances you may want to give this one a try

I also second (or third?) the recommendation for Podger's Stravaganza: she is great as always, and the band (Arte dei suonatori) is surprisingly good.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #1,090 of 9,368
I really haven't heard bad Vivaldi. It really isn't complicated. Kind of like sewing machine music.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #1,093 of 9,368

Not really an opera guy but sometimes make exceptions.
Like this.

can't quite make up the details from the image, is this the Giulini/Philarmonia recording produced by Walter Legge? Great stuff, certainly a competitor for best recording ever... check out also this two almost contemporary Salzburg recordings

the cast (very similar in both) is made by singers that had performed Mozart as a team hundreds of times and you can tell by their vocal acting. The Mitropoulos recording in particular is the most dramatic Don Giovanni I have heard.

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #1,094 of 9,368
  can't quite make up the details from the image, is this the Giulini/Philarmonia recording produced by Walter Legge? Great stuff, certainly a competitor for best recording ever... check out also this two almost contemporary Salzburg recordings

the cast (very similar in both) is made by singers that had performed Mozart as a team hundreds of times and you can tell by their vocal acting. The Mitropoulos recording in particular is the most dramatic Don Giovanni I have heard.

Yes it is. Sorry about the tiny photo.
I thought of this as we were on the subject of Elizabeth Schwarzkopf.

I'm familiar with all these recordings as both my parents were opera freaks growing up and I inherited a bunch of opera vinyl from them.
The Krips I also got on cd when it was re-issued and is obviously excellent as well.
I haven't heard it in some time though(or the others for that matter).

As I said I'm not really an opera guy but always enjoyed Don Giovanni among others.
Mostly out of spreading my listening all over the place.
There's still time though as I'm still alive as of writing this......

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #1,095 of 9,368

I don't know much about Mrs Della Casa Mozartian skills, but one of my favorite Mahler`s is

And I tell you: what a voice!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back