Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 12, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #1,036 of 9,368

I've heard it on cd years ago and remember it being very good.
In fact it's the only Masur recording I remember at all.

Granted I haven't listened to him lately but I gave him a chance once upon a time.
Maybe I'll give him a second chance one of these winter nights...

Actually the memory was probably imprinted by Jessye Norman.
I've seen this recording at the library so maybe this weekend I'll take another listen.

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #1,037 of 9,368
Masur's Mendelssohn symphonies and overtures are excellent

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #1,038 of 9,368
And yes.

I think choosing one best limits our own perception by building walls.
"Tribal" and "Naive" may be bit extreme but these words comes to mind.
Looking back at my past as a human I've noticed that my prejudices have kept me from even listening to certain music.
MY LOSS.
Luckily as I age many walls have crumbled but I'm still human(for example I still can't listen to kpop).

The only reason I took the challenge to post the "one best" and posted the Bartok recording is it
is a recording that opened my mind to other things that continually enrich my life.
Almost like a key to a closed door...
Well, I've got the broadest scope in taste of music, yet I don't even know what kpop is! (I do now, having just googled (and can't imagine you'd really be missing out on anything!))

I'm a trumpet player. I listen mainly to orchestral stuff, but I was a metaller in my teens and still am to this day (although much more in the closest now!). Being both an orchestral and jazz player, I love my jazz too. I buzz off different genres in different ways, but it's the same cerebral 'buzz' I get from listening to a brutally intimidating death metal riff as it would be with a great Mahlerian symphonic apotheosis. I just reach that point via a different stimulus.

It's not out of snobbery that I've not kept up with recent pop music, it's just that when you've experienced such deeper and long lasting encounters with material that have required a significant amount of listener effort and perseverance, one's idea about what it means to listen to music changes and I really don't have time to try and justify or even absorb fickle music. I'm not saying I dismiss stuff or don't enjoy it, I just don't go out of my way to find it; my ever present list of things to listen to next doesn't incorporate it!

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #1,039 of 9,368
Well, I've got the broadest scope in taste of music, yet I don't even know what kpop is! (I do now, having just googled (and can't imagine you'd really be missing out on anything!))

I'm a trumpet player. I listen mainly to orchestral stuff, but I was a metaller in my teens and still am to this day (although much more in the closest now!). Being both an orchestral and jazz player, I love my jazz too. I buzz off different genres in different ways, but it's the same cerebral 'buzz' I get from listening to a brutally intimidating death metal riff as it would be with a great Mahlerian symphonic apotheosis. I just reach that point via a different stimulus.

It's not out of snobbery that I've not kept up with recent pop music, it's just that when you've experienced such deeper and long lasting encounters with material that have required a significant amount of listener effort and perseverance, one's idea about what it means to listen to music changes and I really don't have time to try and justify or even absorb fickle music. I'm not saying I dismiss stuff or don't enjoy it, I just don't go out of my way to find it; my ever present list of things to listen to next doesn't incorporate it!

I hear you and feel the same way. 

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #1,040 of 9,368
  Bought this on LP recently, stunning 
eek.gif

One of my favourite records of all time.  This is doubtles one of the greatest recordings done by human beings!

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #1,044 of 9,368
Celibidache's Bruckner 9th with the Munich Philharmonic is quite an experience.  If you think you're ready for it, go ahead and try.  It's beyond words, just listen to it.

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #1,045 of 9,368

Keep in mind jazz too was pop music once upon a time.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #1,048 of 9,368
Believe it or not this post is directly related to many things on this thread of late:

Here's some words from the program notes in Aldeburgh not too long ago:

"A music of dead movements … pseudo-activity which consists of nothing more than rubble … like a beetle floundering on its back".

Kafka would be proud....

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #1,049 of 9,368

I hear you and feel the same way. 

Believe it or not in Asia(where I and a majority of the Earth's population lived/ lives(respectively)) Kpop is hugely popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back