Best classical recordings...ever!
Jul 2, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #8,236 of 9,368
Mod Comment

I've just had to issue warnings and delete multiple posts to get this thread back on topic. If I have to do it again with the same protagonists, someone will be leaving the thread.  Please - no more.  It is OK to disagree - but you must do this respectfully.  And no personal attacks - they are not tolerated ever.

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #8,238 of 9,368
Original thread reopened, don't know what will happen to htis thread, perhaps migrate posts to the original and delete this?

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #8,239 of 9,368
Jul 9, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #8,243 of 9,368

Reminder to self, buy all Janine Jansen's cd's..

Her or Sayaka if you had to choose one or the other? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #8,245 of 9,368

Reminder to self, buy all Janine Jansen's cd's..

She is indeed incredible. I have seen her live (not the Brahms) and have the Brahms CD.
She plays  with such an emotinal intensity, there are almost sparks flying around her
wink.gif

However I have a different favorite recording of the Brahms violin concerto which I already mention a while back in this thread.
H. Szeryng, London S.O. Antal Dorati, Mercury 1962
The Szeryng performance is not as beautiful, not so "nice" as the more modern interpretations. It's more rough and edgy, more tension.
You have the impression it is more, or just on the edge, more risk involved but fully rewarded in the end.

PS: I watched the video from start to finish, of course. THX for sharing.

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #8,246 of 9,368
  She is indeed incredible. I have seen her live (not the Brahms) and have the Brahms CD.
She plays  with such an emotinal intensity, there are almost sparks flying around her
wink.gif

However I have a different favorite recording of the Brahms violin concerto which I already mention a while back in this thread.
H. Szeryng, London S.O. Anatal Dorati, Mercury 1962
The Szeryng performance is not as beautiful, not so "nice" as the more modern interpretations. It's more rough and edgy, more tension.
You have the impression it is more, or just on the edge, more risk involved but fully rewarded in the end.

Oh great. I am a sucker for female violinists, first it was Sophie Muller, then Hillary Hahn and now this. As the old saying goes, "Here we go again!" And she would have to be playing my favorite Concerto..Brahms..I hope my wallet is ready for this.

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #8,247 of 9,368
It sounds funny, taken out of context, to say that one likes female violinists :wink: Not to pick on anyone, but it's not the same as saying you like female vocalists, is it? 

That said, objectively speaking there are probably more professional female classical musicians as a percentage of the total today than ever before. And yet there is still a question in general, whether women have a particular pattern of styles when it comes to playing music. If we were doing a blind test of unfamiliar recordings, would anyone really be able to guess whether a man or a woman was playing? Probably not. 

That said, regardless of the player, I think subjectively we could interpret some virtuoso playing as being more 'masculine' and some as being more 'feminine' just as some people will describe certain wine styles in those terms. The funny thing is that I never personally found Jansen's playing to sound particularly 'feminine' in my interpretation.

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #8,248 of 9,368
wink.gif

I totally understand what you mean, I'll check it out, I love Szeryng's 2nd Bartok with Haitink..my favorite Brahms old school recording is Milstein's ..

Jul 10, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #8,249 of 9,368
She plays  with such an emotinal intensity, there are almost sparks flying around her :wink: .

Despite all the emotional intensity her accuracy never suffers which is what I find staggering about her.

Ferras has a great Brahms recording that is worth a look in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back