Best classical recordings...ever!
Feb 14, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #7,621 of 9,368
B was a memorable conductor in Mahler, Beethoven, Brahms, and some Mozart. I can't listen to his Schumann, as I never quite warmed to Schumann's symphonies. Interestingly, he was not into Bruckner. He tried, but did not succeed, in becoming a visionary, but hindsight (from our perspective) is 20/20. He certainly championed young artists and musical education, and I'm thankful for that. Personally, I don't sense a waning of Romantic orchestral enthusiasm, at least with recordings. Maybe with concert programming. Also, I wish there would be a Mahler symph cycle in Canada sometime, as I don't recall there ever being one in my musical lifetime. A pity.

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #7,622 of 9,368
Personally, I don't sense a waning of Romantic orchestral enthusiasm, at least with recordings. Maybe with concert programming. 

Fair enough. But perhaps we could both agree that the romantic style of conducting has become increasingly limited to, well, romantic era music. 

It used to be that almost everything sounded romantic, whether it was Bach's Mass in B Minor by Richter, or even late Shostakovitch works. That was how musicians played and conductors conducted in the middle of the 20th century, with a few exceptions.

Now, you're more likely to hear an austere, quick-paced Bach, even if there may be trend back towards capturing the emotional highs of something like B-Moll Mass (a la Johnathan Cohen last year), but even composers I consider to be neo-romantic like Sibelius are often played in a more austere and 'modern' way rather than the overtly romantic style he himself may have actually approved of, largely.

So I suppose rather than saying that I sense a waning interest in the romantic period, I would just say that people who love the romantic period, don't mind it played in a romantic style, but pretty much every other period and genre are no longer played in the older romantic style that went crazy with the layers and layers of strings using long and intense vibratos, where conductors often slowed things down to increase the dramatic effect, etc...

In this sense, you hear a lot of composers are minimizing the excesses of the past, even with for instance, Riccardo Chailly's award winning Brahms symphonies of 2013 being great for their speed, clarity, and controlled emotional temper. It seems that the critics felt the need to applaud the updated style here, probably to encourage more of this. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #7,623 of 9,368
  Fair enough. But perhaps we could both agree that the romantic style of conducting has become increasingly limited to, well, romantic era music. 

It used to be that almost everything sounded romantic, whether it was Bach's Mass in B Minor by Richter, or even late Shostakovitch works. That was how musicians played and conductors conducted in the middle of the 20th century, with a few exceptions.

Now, you're more likely to hear an austere, quick-paced Bach, even if there may be trend back towards capturing the emotional highs of something like B-Moll Mass (a la Johnathan Cohen last year), but even composers I consider to be neo-romantic like Sibelius are often played in a more austere and 'modern' way rather than the overtly romantic style he himself may have actually approved of, largely.

So I suppose rather than saying that I sense a waning interest in the romantic period, I would just say that people who love the romantic period, don't mind it played in a romantic style, but pretty much every other period and genre are no longer played in the older romantic style that went crazy with the layers and layers of strings using long and intense vibratos, where conductors often slowed things down to increase the dramatic effect, etc...

In this sense, you hear a lot of composers are minimizing the excesses of the past, even with for instance, Riccardo Chailly's award winning Brahms symphonies of 2013 being great for their speed, clarity, and controlled emotional temper. It seems that the critics felt the need to applaud the updated style here, probably to encourage more of this. 

I agree. As for Bach, I never sensed romanticism in his pieces' performances. Lots of cerebral content, especially piano solo, like Goldbergs and AoFugue. Perhaps the Partitas are a bit romantic. I never thought of his Mass B minor as lush/romantic. Maybe I will re-listen next week, Herreweghe's version is my go-to for that.

I have not heard Chailly's Brahms symphonies (surprise!), but his Beethoven symphonies with the Leipzigers are quite well done. Not too fast like Zinman's cycle. To my ears, Bernstein's Beethoven (and Brahms) with the VPO were the most Romantic of those symphs that I have heard from anyone. I find them mood-dependent.

Thank goodness older, more "Romantic" recordings are still available on disc (e.g. Sibelius by Maazel/VPO, Jarvi/Gothenburg).

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #7,624 of 9,368

Thank goodness older, more "Romantic" recordings are still available on disc (e.g. Sibelius by Maazel/VPO, Jarvi/Gothenburg).

And without discounting other possible interpretations, I really love these recordings. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Sibelius was really the composer who got BIS started as a label. Alex Ross in this "The Rest is Noise" (a great overview of 20th century classical music in historical context) dwells quite a long time on Sibelius, and notes how remarkably radical he was in his day, going against what seemed to a lot of other composers at the time to be the real future of classical music--atonal. Sibelius basically said, I still like Beethoven, so screw you guys. Nevertheless, his music is not a copy of Beethoven. There is a real Scandinavian patriotism and organic use of local mythology that allows his work that meshes so well with a warm, and yes, romantic, orchestra. He knew how to draw on Scandinavian mythology in a very similar way to how Schubert/Schumann/Beethoven drew on Greek and Latin mythology. 

Right now I'm enjoying Andras Schiff playing Schumann's Geistervariationenn... The ECM New Series has really milked his talent for 19th century piano greats. I haven't heard any other albums he did, but I may try to get one or two more, despite the fact that they're really expensive where I live (around $50 for a double CD). Recording quality is so good, I think the ALAC rip of the CD sounds significantly better than the 24/96 version of Hamelin playing Schumann from Hyperion I recently bought. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #7,625 of 9,368
For anyone who is interested in Sibelius, and for the first timers around here, I can't overemphasize how much I like the Neeme Jarvi Gothenburg set on DGG, http://www.amazon.com/Sibelius-Symphonies-Tone-Poems-Jean/dp/B000SSPL2Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_15_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51zA0jnpOlL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1F59PD0J98RHP27S3EV4

Feb 16, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #7,626 of 9,368
  For anyone who is interested in Sibelius, and for the first timers around here, I can't overemphasize how much I like the Neeme Jarvi Gothenburg set on DGG, http://www.amazon.com/Sibelius-Symphonies-Tone-Poems-Jean/dp/B000SSPL2Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_15_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51zA0jnpOlL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1F59PD0J98RHP27S3EV4

Christian Ferras has a sublime recording of the sibelius violin concerto, you can see him crying in the second movement 
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #7,628 of 9,368

It's a fine recording. The other you should hear on a full floor system is Maazel/VPO. Long been my ref cycle for Sibby's symphonies. And don't forget all those "tone poems" on the Jarvi set. Vastly under-performed/under-rated, imo.

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #7,632 of 9,368
2016 Grammys:

Orchestral Performance
“Shostakovich: Under Stalin’s Shadow — Symphony No. 10,” Andris Nelsons, conductor (Boston Symphony Orchestra)
Opera Recording
“Ravel: L’Enfant Et Les Sortilèges; Shéhérazade,” Seiji Ozawa, conductor; Isabel Leonard; Dominic Fyfe, producer (Saito Kinen Orchestra; SKF Matsumoto Chorus and SKF Matsumoto Children’s Chorus)
Choral Performance
“Rachmaninoff: All-Night Vigil,” Charles Bruffy, conductor (Paul Davidson, Frank Fleschner, Toby Vaughn Kidd, Bryan Pinkall, Julia Scozzafava, Bryan Taylor & Joseph Warner; Kansas City Chorale & Phoenix Chorale)
Chamber Music/Small Ensemble Performance
“Filament,” Eighth Blackbird
Classical Instrumental Solo
“Dutilleux: Violin Concerto, L’Arbre Des Songes,” Augustin Hadelich; Ludovic Morlot, conductor (Seattle Symphony)
Classical Solo Vocal Album
“Joyce & Tony — Live From Wigmore Hall,” Joyce DiDonato; Antonio Pappano, accompanist
Classical Compendium
“Paulus: Three Places of Enlightenment; Veil of Tears & Grand Concerto,” Giancarlo Guerrero, conductor; Tim Handley, producer
Contemporary Classical Composition
“Paulus: Prayers & Remembrances,” Stephen Paulus, composer (Eric Holtan, True Concord Voices & Orchestra)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back