Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 3, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #5,581 of 9,368
  I'm eyeing the Horowitz box set. It's massive - 70CDs. The recordings are listed below. I like Horowitz, just don't know whether many of these are truly "great" perfs.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002P3J3BW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_4&smid=A3FIYE5M6J6BOA
---------------------------------------------------------------

Have that one too. Performances are always, well always Horowitz. If you love Horowitz, then you don't pick up wrong notes, but get carried away by the genius.
But some of the recordings are terrible, and I mean really terrible. Some of them sound like being a copy of a copy of a copy of a radio broadcast. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #5,582 of 9,368
  Just wait till the Woo Heroin comes out.

So, the rumors are true 
eek.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #5,585 of 9,368

Is this the box?

http://www.amazon.ca/Mercury-Living-Presence-Various-Artists/dp/B005XBA9Y8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1441281758&sr=1-1&keywords=mercury+living+presence

I toyed with getting one of the RCA or Mercury boxes, but I'm just not a "completist", and there just wasn't enough Beethoven/Mozart/Brahms in them! There is a LOT of Dorati in the Mercury box set.

Yes, this is the volume 1 with the blue banner if I'm not mistaken.
Red banner -> vol. 2, green banner vol. 3

Then I can only envy you 
tongue_smile.gif
 You must have high quality headphone amp. My experience with Szeryng's Kreisler CD is very sharp, almost metallic sound of his E-string, which is completely opossite of how he sounded live. If you have this CD, could you please check the very first number, Caprice Viennois. If it sounds good on your setup, then it's maybe time for me to get rid of my Schiit.

I think the source & DAC are more important but yes the amp isn't too shabby either, no complaints
biggrin.gif

I'll check if I have the Kreisler...

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #5,587 of 9,368

... My experience with Szeryng's Kreisler CD is very sharp, almost metallic sound of his E-string, which is completely opossite of how he sounded live. If you have this CD, could you please check the very first number, Caprice Viennois. If it sounds good on your setup, then it's maybe time for me to get rid of my Schiit.

I just listened to the Caprice Viennois, track 1, 4:19
Vol. 40 #434 351-2 (P) 1995, Rec. 01/1963 of the Mercury Living Presence box 1
The sound is perfectly fine, even the highest notes are clean, almost silky, no problem to enjoy listening.
Eyes closed and Henryk is just in front of me. Stunning.

If you indeed have the exact same edition, then you might use the for sale section for some of your equipement
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #5,588 of 9,368

I just listened to the Caprice Viennois, track 1, 4:19
Vol. 40 #434 351-2 (P) 1995, Rec. 01/1963 of the Mercury Living Presence box 1
The sound is perfectly fine, even the highest notes are clean, almost silky, no problem to enjoy listening.
Eyes closed and Henryk is just in front of me. Stunning.

If you indeed have the exact same edition, then you might use the for sale section for some of your equipement
wink.gif

Thanks a lot. Something to think about...Just listened to it through floor spkrs, no problem there. Only on HP SS amp, slightly treble irritating. If you have no problem on HD800 who are known for nor being treble shy, then it's really time for my new equipment. Or, maybe I like tubes too much. Glowing tubes in winter nights, with a single malt glass reflecting the glow  
wink_face.gif

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #5,589 of 9,368
After checking for any negative aspects in the first track, I was so fascinated, I continued to listen to the entire CD - first time I have to admit. Not a fan of Kreisler but Szeryng is my absolute favorite.
As for tubes ... I never went that route. I would get mad if I finally arrive at a sound I really like and it keeps shifting gradually and I have to chase replacement tubes, just to find out that they are not available anymore at all or the prices are up in the sky. I have arrived and want to focus on listening to music. So much stuff on my shelf that I haven't heard yet.
But glowing tubes in winter nights, with a glass of single malt reflecting the glow, mmmmh
beerchug.gif

I light up the wood fireplace, not too bad either.

Sep 4, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #5,592 of 9,368
Was at the proms yesterday listening to mahler 4... It's so beautiful, just too beautiful

Any recommendations for the mahler cycle?

i have bernstein rattle boulez and gergiev

any other recommendations welcome!

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #5,593 of 9,368
  Was at the proms yesterday listening to mahler 4... It's so beautiful, just too beautiful

Any recommendations for the mahler cycle?

i have bernstein rattle boulez and gergiev

any other recommendations welcome!

Box: Haitink/Concertgebouw
You already have Bernstein, so that's good. I don't care for Rattle/Berlin, but Rattle did do a fantastic #2, 3 with Birmingham.

Do single discs:
Kubelik/Bavarian Radio: Mahler #1
Szell/Raskin/Clev: #4
Bernstein/VPO: #5
#7: Abbado/Chicago, Abbado/BPO, Bernstein, Masur/Leipzig
#8: Solti/CSO Vienna Staatschor
#9: Bernstein/BPO, Karajan/BPO

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #5,595 of 9,368
For Mahler 4 specifically you can give these a try:
Budapest + Fischer
VPO + Maazel
Pitt + Previn