Best classical recordings...ever!
Aug 30, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #5,477 of 9,368
  Piece of trivia. John Grado told me last summer that the Vienna Phil timbre matches their violins. That's apparently unusual. And they use rotary horns.

@eyeresist:  Brendel does an excellent D.960, as does Kempff. I'm waiting on my set of Radu Lupu's Schubert recordings; looking forward to hearing those.
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000BVEKKE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

You should try Leif Ove Andsnes' Schubert late sonatas.

The Vienna phil as amazing as they are, I am quite annoyed by how sharp they tune the orchestra.

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #5,478 of 9,368
  You should try Leif Ove Andsnes' Schubert late sonatas.

The Vienna phil as amazing as they are, I am quite annoyed by how sharp they tune the orchestra.

Well.....I have the 3 sublime performers for Schubert; Brendel, Kempff, and Fischer (Annie). With Lupu coming. Is Paul Badura-Skoda good? He has a box set on original pianos from his own collection. I've toyed with getting it, but I just find fortepianos from the 18th century so thin-sounding.

I think the Musikverein's acoustics more than make up for their tuning -- I certainly don't hear much brightness in their violins on disc with my floor system. But that's interesting that they sharply tune themselves.

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #5,479 of 9,368
That's ironic. He contended that he was simply following the score, and everyone else was trying to be "interpretive."

Ha. His sound on disc is to my ears difficult to grasp, with Beeth Symphs. Compared to Furtwangler, Kleiber, and Szell. Off the map. I just can't sit still with Toscanini's Beethoven.

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #5,482 of 9,368
Quoting the late Oliver Sacks:

“I haven’t heard of a human being who isn’t musical, or who doesn’t respond to music one way or another. I think we are an essentially, profoundly musical species. And I don’t know whether — for all I know, language piggybacked on music.”

Referring to Nietzsche’s claim that listening to Bizet had made him a better philosopher, Dr. Sacks said, “I think Mozart makes me a better neurologist.”

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #5,485 of 9,368

Also I guess this is my ignorance, but when people say Kleiber, do they usually mean Carlos as opposed to his father (or the other way around)? I prefer the grittier and bolder Erich K. + Concertgebouw's 5th (1953). More distinct separation of instruments + timpani is given slightly more prominence.

They mean Carlos

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #5,488 of 9,368

Any recommendataions for Schuberts Piano trios

Heifetz, Rubinstein and piatigorsky

These 3 great musicians played and recorded the trios of Tchaikovsky, Ravel and Mendelssohn, but not Schubert. 

casals thibaud cortot
what more can you ask for?

Exactly. The last 3 musicians.  I think interpretation of music - any music- doesn't get better than this. 

Still, I would like to recommend the Westminster recordings of the Badura-Skoda Trio. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back