Best classical headphones for under $800
Jul 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #46 of 48
Quote:
Very helpful comparison Brooko /img/forum/go_quote.gif - sounds like HD600 is still the headphone to beat after all these years. I do wish it had a bigger soundstage and better extension on both ends though. Then it would be perfect!

That's always been my pet peeve about the Sennheisers-595, 600, 650........the soundstage has always let me down. 

Jul 22, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #47 of 48
Quote:
Very helpful comparison Brooko /img/forum/go_quote.gif - sounds like HD600 is still the headphone to beat after all these years. I do wish it had a bigger soundstage and better extension on both ends though. Then it would be perfect!

Thanks.  See comment below (covers both).

Quote:

That's always been my pet peeve about the Sennheisers-595, 600, 650........the soundstage has always let me down. 

It's a funny thing - but over time where I once looked for soundstage size - I'd now rather have accuracy in detail, timbre and imaging.  I bought the K701 & Q701 so I could get an idea of the bigger sound stage size - and while it's 'an experience', it often feels false (too large).  The other thing about the K701/Q701 is that it's really quite left/right - and not so much in the center.  This may be one of the costs of a large soundstage for a mid-fi headphone (understand HD800 etc don't have this problem).

Again though - the HD600 sounds natural, and the imaging really is fantastic.  It sounds real,

As far as extension goes - I've never really felt that the HD600 doesn't cover both ends.  What I do think is that apart from the slight mid-bass bump/hump - it doesn't artificially spotlight the upper an lower ends (which so many other headphones do).  My current new cans (SRH1840) have very good extension - but they do spotlight the upper mids/highs (probably because they are bass light).  I do love their imaging, separation, and detail (their soundstage is again smaller than K701 size - but it is better because of the accuracy IMO)  - but I also wonder if the etching of the upper end may prove tiresome at some stage.  So far not - but I am realistic enough to know that time and experience is the only things that can give me that answer.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #48 of 48
Quote:
Vinnievidi can you comment on why you find the 650s better than the 600s for classical. I have heard others make the opposite claim.

Yeah, I thought I'd hold the minority position on this. Truthfully, I really think the 650 sounds a lot like the acoustics of Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center. To me, that is a very pleasing sound for string quartettes and other smaller works. I also found them to be nice for opera. Maybe I like them because my setup is pretty neutral and fairly powerful, I don't know; but I can just say that I think they're quite nice for classical if you're looking for a lush sound--not something overly analytical. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back