Best choice in this group:
Sep 25, 2009 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Shane D

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello. I am picking up an Ipod Classic next week at Future Shop (Canadian Best Buy) and will be using a gift card. I have already decided on a Classic player, Apple dock (for hooking up to home stereo), speaker dock for work and I want to upgrade the earphones.
For Christmas I think I will gift myself with Westones (W3/UMX3).

In the meantime my choices for an upgrade at Future Shop are not top of the line But I was wondering if I could get some thoughts on the best ones available. I am 49 yrs old and like hard rock/pop music along with the occasional splash of blues and Motown. I just like loud and clean. In my living room I run a two channel system consisting of an NAD amp (C372) and Axiom M60 speakers and I am VERY happy with that sound.

Well, that is probably way more info than you needed, but I wanted to be thorough.
Here are my options:
Senn CX 300-II
Senn CX 400
Skull Candy Holua
Monster Turbine
Senn CX 500
A couple of Bose models

As a short term upgrade over the included buds, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Shane D

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 18
I hope you like big, boomy, over-reaching bass, because just about everything on your list there is like that. At least the Turbines will give you a decent treble response, whereas all the Senns on your list struggle with trebles due to such over-reaching bass.

If you don't mind shopping on the net, you should consider the NuForce NE-6 from Amazon.com -- good decent bass (but not boomy) and crisp highs, all for less than $50.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you like big, boomy, over-reaching bass, because just about everything on your list there is like that. At least the Turbines will give you a decent treble response, whereas all the Senns on your list struggle with trebles due to such over-reaching bass.

If you don't mind shopping on the net, you should consider the NuForce NE-6 from Amazon.com -- good decent bass (but not boomy) and crisp highs, all for less than $50.

Thanks for the recommendation! I was just wondering if any on that list were worth the price of an upgrade ($100.00 to $150.00 Canadian), since I will have "Future Shop" cash.

Maybe a better way to put it would have been:
Could any experienced users of these products put them in a list from best to worst?

I have never owned buds before so I am curious about the difference between buds in the box and the $130.00ish models. If the difference is huge (as i hope) then I would feel better about buying Westones down the road.

Shane D

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 18
On that list, the Turbines are clearly several notches up above the other earphones.

From my previous experience with Skullcandy, stay far away from the Holua if you want your IEMs to last. And of course the Bose IEMs would be at the bottom of the price/performance list unless they're about $20. I also rather dislike the Senn CX300, though others disagree. Haven't heard the CX400 and CX500, though I'm inclined to think that they're more of the same - boomy, bloated bass that overpowers the lower midrange.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 18
Like kmhaynes said, your list is pretty bassy. Sennheiser is a notoriously bassy brand, and while my CX500s don't suck, I wouldn't call them balanced.

If you'll pass on the low end, you'll get more clarity--especially for the vocals on the Motown and the blues--if you go for some Head Direct RE0s, or some Etymotic ER6is. (Even better the ER6, but it's been discontinued.)

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 18
From Future shop the Monster Turbines are the best for the money, though the Sennheiser IE6s would compliment your needs better but they also cost much more. The bass from the Monster Turbines is quite good and not all that boomy, it will go well with rock/pop.

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like kmhaynes said, your list is pretty bassy. Sennheiser is a notoriously bassy brand, and while my CX500s don't suck, I wouldn't call them balanced.

If you'll pass on the low end, you'll get more clarity--especially for the vocals on the Motown and the blues--if you go for some Head Direct RE0s, or some Etymotic ER6is. (Even better the ER6, but it's been discontinued.)

Not really, the CX 300, 400 and 500 are

Sep 25, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On that list, the Turbines are clearly several notches up above the other earphones.

From my previous experience with Skullcandy, stay far away from the Holua if you want your IEMs to last. And of course the Bose IEMs would be at the bottom of the price/performance list unless they're about $20. I also rather dislike the Senn CX300, though others disagree. Haven't heard the CX400 and CX500, though I'm inclined to think that they're more of the same - boomy, bloated bass that overpowers the lower midrange.

Not a lot of love here for Sennheiser products (except for the IE8's)? Strange as they are mentioned in a TON of threads. Must be because they are "cheapish" price wise?
The Bose models are $129.00 and $159.00. I am not sold on the brand, especially at this price point.

So the Turbines are pretty good? Did some reading and there really seems to be wide ranging views on these.

Thanks for the reply!

Shane D

Sep 25, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the recommendation but I would really like to include it in my Future Shop purchase. Another beat down on Sennheiser?

Shane D

Sep 25, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blood_Raven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From Future shop the Monster Turbines are the best for the money, though the Sennheiser IE6s would compliment your needs better but they also cost much more. The bass from the Monster Turbines is quite good and not all that boomy, it will go well with rock/pop.

Another vote for Turbines. And the price really isn't too bad ($129.00). the IE 6's are $299.00! For the big money I like the idea of six drivers.

Thanks for your reply.

Shane D

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 18
with options like those, personally I'd save the money and either get a pair of JVC Marshmallows or Air Cushions (Futureshop carries both) and spend the remaining cash on CDs.

Sep 26, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #12 of 18
+1 vote for the Turbines

But that's just out of that list. I'm sure you'll discover much more variety IEM in the MT range here on Head-Fi.

Sep 26, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mookowz13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with options like those, personally I'd save the money and either get a pair of JVC Marshmallows or Air Cushions (Futureshop carries both) and spend the remaining cash on CDs.

So you think the $20.00 units outperform the $120.00 units? Or that there is not enough difference to bother with?
Wouldn't the buds in the box be pretty close to the cheap JVC's?

Just curious on your reasoning?

Shane D

Sep 26, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dC0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 vote for the Turbines

But that's just out of that list. I'm sure you'll discover much more variety IEM in the MT range here on Head-Fi.

Thanks for the reply. Yet another vote for turbines. The variety here seems endless and WAY more varied than I would ever explore. I figure one upgrade now and maybe a big one at Christmas and then I am done.
Until something breaks or starts to wear out.
biggrin.gif

Shane D

Sep 26, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply. Yet another vote for turbines. The variety here seems endless and WAY more varied than I would ever explore. I figure one upgrade now and maybe a big one at Christmas and then I am done.
Until something breaks or starts to wear out.
biggrin.gif

Shane D

This place is a plague. I have followed it for a few years now, but I rarely post. I used Etymotic ER6s for 2 years, then Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pros for another 2 and now I'm looking into some Sennheiser IE8s, JVC HP-FX500s, or Westone 3s. I don't know what I will do after my next upgrade, I wont be able to afford better.

Trust me on this, get the Turbines, try them, and if you like them keep them as long as you can because if you stay here you will end up owning 10+ sets of earphones/headphones and you will be thousands in debt to this place, its evil!
happy_face1.gif

Of course if you don't like them, return them or sell them, and come back and we will pair you with what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back