Best Choice for Over - Ear Headphones
Feb 13, 2012 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kimiko89

New Head-Fier
Okay. So, I'm not very experienced when it comes to headphones, and I need some help in making a wise decision.

My budget is just under 160ish possibly 170 at the most.
My main use will be on a flight to Japan, train rides around the country, and then casual use.
My preference for sound is like being immersed in the music. I don't care if they aren't noise cancelling or noise isolating, but I want to be completely blocked off from anything but my music.
I like bass, but not so much that I vibrate, and not so much that my music sounds dull.
I mainly listen to electronic/techno and alternative/rock, however I occasionally listen to Pop/Rap.

What are some options that I should consider?

Also, I don't mind either way, but folding models get bonus points! :wink:

Thanks in advance for any help at all!

Jacqui

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
Okay. So, I'm not very experienced when it comes to headphones, and I need some help in making a wise decision.

My budget is just under 160ish possibly 170 at the most.
My main use will be on a flight to Japan, train rides around the country, and then casual use.
My preference for sound is like being immersed in the music. I don't care if they aren't noise cancelling or noise isolating, but I want to be completely blocked off from anything but my music.
I like bass, but not so much that I vibrate, and not so much that my music sounds dull.
I mainly listen to electronic/techno and alternative/rock, however I occasionally listen to Pop/Rap.

What are some options that I should consider?

Also, I don't mind either way, but folding models get bonus points! :wink:

Thanks in advance for any help at all!

Jacqui

I would look into the Ultrasone HFI 580/780s, which seem to fit all your requirements very nicely. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 8
I was just googling and came across this product hope it helps you

Skullcandy SCS-SCBP3.5 Skullcrushers Subwoofer Stereo Headphones
*AA Battery Bass Amplified subwoofer system
*Inline bass level adjustment
*6.3mm home stereo adaptor included/Airline adaptor included
*Soft touch leather earpads
*Travel pouch

Have a look at this link..hope you'll find it good..
http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-SCS-SCBP3-5-Skullcrushers-Subwoofer-Headphones/dp/B000OYFOVM/?tag=klnprk-20

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 8
I would also recommend the Ultrasone 580/680/780.

I have the 680 edition and it isolates quite well and to my ears sounded better then the Audio Technica M50s

Also have a look at the Shure SRH840 and HD25s if you can squeeze them into your budget.

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I was just googling and came across this product hope it helps you

Skullcandy SCS-SCBP3.5 Skullcrushers Subwoofer Stereo Headphones
*AA Battery Bass Amplified subwoofer system
*Inline bass level adjustment
*6.3mm home stereo adaptor included/Airline adaptor included
*Soft touch leather earpads
*Travel pouch

Have a look at this link..hope you'll find it good..
http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-SCS-SCBP3-5-Skullcrushers-Subwoofer-Headphones/dp/B000OYFOVM/?tag=klnprk-20

I'm sorry, but you're obviously new here. Skullcandies have historically been pretty bad, and the Skullcrusher is the worse of the bunch. They claim to have a subwoofer, but in reality, the bass only goes down to the midbass, and makes everything sound rattly. All the other parts of the spectrum are completely overshadowed by the rattling, and everything gets even worse when you turn on that subwoofer. 
I cannot recommend against this enough.

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 8
Thank you for the suggestions!

I was looking at the Ultrasone HFI - 780, and there were a few sites/reviews that mentioned a tidbit about slight discomfort after long listening periods. Is this common for any headphones, or something that I should consider? Have any of you had experience with this to know? Like I said, I'll be using them on long flights, so while I'm not a comfort connoisseur, I would like to know that what I'm buying can withstand about 3 - 4 consecutive hours.

Thanks again!

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 8
Thank you for the suggestions!

I was looking at the Ultrasone HFI - 780, and there were a few sites/reviews that mentioned a tidbit about slight discomfort after long listening periods. Is this common for any headphones, or something that I should consider? Have any of you had experience with this to know? Like I said, I'll be using them on long flights, so while I'm not a comfort connoisseur, I would like to know that what I'm buying can withstand about 3 - 4 consecutive hours.

Thanks again!

I also second the Ultrasones, but if you don't mind the size (don't worry they weight like nothing) Brianwavz Hm5's, extremely good value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back