Best choice for Headphones under $100?
Aug 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

THAIS

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody.
How are you doing? :)

I'll create a new thread again. I said 'again', because I made another one before some time ago. I am not writing there with my new updates, because now the situation is a little bit different. OK, here is the other thread -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/721740/looking-for-the-best-deal-up-to-50-60-headphones. The difference this time - I have more money than before - everything up to $100 is OK (I prefer them to be up to $85, but if there is something remarkable about it's value (like V-Moda ...), it wouldn't be a problem). Now, I'll tell you more about me and my music preferences.

I am listening to a lot of music styles, but right now mostly to electronic (techno, house, DJ mixes, ...). So, the powerful, high-quality and punchy bass is one of the most important things for me. I am not a bass head or addicted to the powerful bass, so the bass is not the only requirement. Also, I want a good, clear and notable sound quality.
I don't mind whether the headphones will be on my ear or over it, just not to be earphones. To be honest - a good friend of mine recommended me, my future cans to be over my ear, because like this the sound will be more clear and they'll noise cancelled. I don't have enough experience at all and I don't need them to be noise cancellng, but I guess - it will be a plus, isn't it?
I guess something important - I'll use my headphones only with my phone (Nokia Lumia 820) and my PC (laptop, Toshiba, if it matters).
I don't mind about brands, but I prefer the cans to be comfortable for use and not to make my ears sweat. Also, I am not going to use them for very long periods of time (if this is important to say) ...
I don't mind about the material of which they are made, but I would prefer as much as less plastic, because a lot of plastic material makes me feel uncomfortable.
Something important - if anyone knows some other websites with good (or better, as well) prices than Amazon & Ebay (also, which I can trust), please, share them (I live now in NYC, if this matters)!

Like before, I've made a serious and long research in the web and now I've found these models recommended, in their order (top 10), with the price I found for them:

1) Creative Aurvana Live! (http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408844691&sr=8-1&keywords=Creative+Aurvana+Live) (Price $72,79 ?)
2) V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Vocal On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone (http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Noise-Isolating-Headphone-Shadow/dp/B00I9UKKS0/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408894859&sr=1-5&keywords=v-moda+crossfade+m-100) (Price $99,95 ?)
3) Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AJIF4E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) (Price $84,95 ?)
4) Audio Technica ATHWS55BK Solid Bass (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AUD-ATHWS55BK-Headphones/dp/B005BHIZU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408844976&sr=8-1&keywords=ATH-WS55+Solid+Bass) (Price $76,14 ?)
5) Philips O'Neill SHO9567GB/28 The Stretch (http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHO9567GB-28-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B005MR6CMG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408844588&sr=8-2&keywords=Philips+O%27Neill+The+Stretch) (Price $43,59 ?)
6) AKG K 240 Semi-Open Studio Headphones (http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA/ref=sr_1_18?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408892155&sr=1-18&keywords=denon+headphones) (Price $68,29 ?)
7) Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408892155&sr=1-16&keywords=denon+headphones) (Price $79,99 ?)
8) Denon AH-D400 Urban RaverTM Over-Ear Headphones (http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AH-D400-Headphones-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00858I51U/ref=sr_1_45?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408892200&sr=1-45&keywords=denon+headphones) (Price $86,14 ?)
9) Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ Style Headphones (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V55-BR-Style-Headphones/dp/B007BY3PNW/ref=sr_1_58?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1408892945&sr=1-58) (Price $56,88 ?)
10) Audio-Technica ATH-M30x Professional Headphones (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVLUQW8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00HVLUQW8&linkCode=as2&tag=digitren08-20&linkId=25IRNRD5RNW7TYNU) (Price $69,00 ?)

These were my top 10 models, from my research. Also, I have researched these models, but I didn't get enough feedback and professional information abouth them  -> Pioneer SE-A1000 Over-Ear Stereo HeadphonesMEElectronics Air-Fi Matrix2 AF62Sennheiser HD 518 HeadphonesSteelSeries Diablo III Gaming Headset (I am not a gamer, but I like very much their design), Denon DJ DN-HP500 DJ Professional Head PhonesShure SRH240A Professional Quality HeadphonesShure SRH440 Professional Studio HeadphonesMarshall Major HeadphonesSkullcandy S6AVFM-156 Aviator HeadphonesMEElectronics Atlas Carbon IML Graphics On-Ear HeadphonesSony MDRX05/RS Simon Cowell X Headphone and Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones.

*Their prices and full names have been copied from Amazon. Also, the '?' in the brackets in the end of each line, are showing their price from Amazon, but if some of them can be found for better - price, write a comment about it.

Sorry for my long thread, with so many requirements & links & colors & information, I hope everything is understandable and clear. If there are some question - please, respond for more information. Also, if you know some other models, better than these, tested and who pass my musical requirements, please, be free to share them, not only to review the current suggestions, which I've put.

Thank you very much for your future support, for you time spend and mostly - for your qualified experience & opinion!

All the best,
                 THAIS aka Martin

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 16
The christmas tree coloring actually makes things more difficult to read. I wish I was color blind right now (lol).

Look into the Logitech UE6000. They are currently on closeout on Amazon (and elsewhere). They have very good bass. Here is a review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 16
M-80.

You obviously put a lot of time into your post, and I've tried to consider everything, but the M-80 stands out from the pack way too much if you plan on using this for edm.  If you want to make the decision hard, you have to take it off the list.  

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 16
The christmas tree coloring actually makes things more difficult to read. I wish I was color blind right now (lol).

Look into the Logitech UE6000. They are currently on closeout on Amazon (and elsewhere). They have very good bass. Here is a review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Hm, they look amazing ... I haven't heard anything about them, but they look good ... Thank you very much for your advice.

M-80.

You obviously put a lot of time into your post, and I've tried to consider everything, but the M-80 stands out from the pack way too much if you plan on using this for edm.  If you want to make the decision hard, you have to take it off the list.  

Yes, you're right and thank you for your advice.

Guys, sorry for my messy main comment and thank you for your advice.

Both of you:
What do you think about Creative Aurvana Live, because they are my favorite and because all of the comments I have read about them were positive (also, everywhere was said that they are amazing value for the money, that they have remarkable bass and sound quality)?

Thanks! :) :)

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 16
Hey dude, a couple of things to note:

1. Over or on ear does not affect isolation quite as much as whether the headphones are closed or open. To give you an example, when I am listening to music with my Beyerdynamic DT 880 (open), I can hear just about everything around me. I can hear the fan humming behind me. I can hear the dog barking at a leaf in the back yard. I can also hear the music I wanted to. When I am using my Mad Dogs (closed), most sounds are nullified. Both these headphones are over the ear by the way.

1. From your post, it appears as if you want the following factors:
    1. Comfortable
    2. Portable
    3. Fairly Inexpensive
    4. Easy to drive (a phone or laptop should be more than enough)
    5. Electronic music primarily

From these, I can tell you that the SRH 240 and 440 are not good choices here - since comfort seems to be extremely important. Sony MDR7506, Sony V6 and Sennheiser HD 280 are ones that I have tried and I do not suggest those either. I can tell you that each of those were more comfortable than the 240/440, but that isn't saying too much.
wink.gif
Out of those, the 280 comes the closest, but I found the bass to be overwhelming. Maybe that might be up your alley. As someone who has not tried the M80 nor the CAL, I cannot make a recommendation either way. I can say that from various comments on these forums, people seem to love the M80 for electronic, hip-hop and genres which emphasize bass.

What I suggest is find a headphone store nearby - I'm sure there are quite a few around NYC, where you can actually audition headphones. Nothing anyone here says compares to how you think it sounds. So, if you think the SRH 240 is the most comfortable thing out there, alrighty then!
L3000.gif

Good luck with your search.

tl;dr: Rule out the SRH 240/440, Sony MDR 7506/V6. The Sennheiser HD 280 is something you might want to consider - I personally didn't enjoy them. The main suggestions in this thread of the CAL and M80 are common for a reason. I haven't tried them out, but I'm sure they are probably good. What I suggest is for you to test out headphones for yourself to figure out what you would like. Nothing anyone here writes means anything compared to what you think.

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 16
  Hey dude, a couple of things to note:

1. Over or on ear does not affect isolation quite as much as whether the headphones are closed or open. To give you an example, when I am listening to music with my Beyerdynamic DT 880 (open), I can hear just about everything around me. I can hear the fan humming behind me. I can hear the dog barking at a leaf in the back yard. I can also hear the music I wanted to. When I am using my Mad Dogs (closed), most sounds are nullified. Both these headphones are over the ear by the way.

1. From your post, it appears as if you want the following factors:
    1. Comfortable
    2. Portable
    3. Fairly Inexpensive
    4. Easy to drive (a phone or laptop should be more than enough)
    5. Electronic music primarily

Thank you very much for your comment, brother. I didn't know that about the over ear/on ear headphones ...

Also, thanks a lot for your recommendations! :)

Yes, there are some stores near by, but non of them had the Creative Aurvana Live!Logitech UE 6000 or V-Moda Crossfade M80.
After everything, now I am the final lap and I am still considering which one is going to be the best one of those three.

Yes, you have understood excellent my messy description, requirements and information. Electronic music primarily (with good bass and sound quality), easy to drive (I'll use them ONLY with my PC (laptop) and phone) and fairly inexpensive (as you said), are really the three most important things for me. Than, portable and comfortable as well, but they are not so much important as the first three mentioned. 

Everyone, please, give me your final recommendations and voting, about which of the Creative Aurvana Live!Logitech UE 6000 or V-Moda Crossfade M80, is going to be the best headphones for me!
Thank you all very much in advance!

Have a good night! :)

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 16
As the above members said, UE6000's would be great. They go for really cheap right now and you can find some crazy good deals on them, sometimes $40. I haven't heard the v-Moda m80 so I can't comment on them, but they're highly praised around here.

I would've recommended the M-Audio Q40 to you, but since you want something comfortable I guess those won't be able to tick the box.

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 16
You can't go wrong with either choice. There are headphone stores (online and in person) which have a 30-90 day return policy - no questions asked. Use it to find something that works for you.

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 16
As the above members said, UE6000's would be great. They go for really cheap right now and you can find some crazy good deals on them, sometimes $40. I haven't heard the v-Moda m80 so I can't comment on them, but they're highly praised around here.

I would've recommended the M-Audio Q40 to you, but since you want something comfortable I guess those won't be able to tick the box.

Alright, thank you a lot.
I'll take a look right now to your recommendation. :wink:

Yes, the V-Moda are the most expensive compared to my other two favorites (the Creative Aurvana Live! and the UE6000's). As I said, now I am considering between those three models and to be honest - I am totally confused which one of them to buy. If nobody recommends something about which one of those three, I guess I'll go with the CAL ... but not sure right now, I'll see soon.

All the best! :wink:

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #13 of 16

Yes, the V-Moda are the most expensive compared to my other two favorites (the Creative Aurvana Live! and the UE6000's). As I said, now I am considering between those three models and to be honest - I am totally confused which one of them to buy. If nobody recommends something about which one of those three, I guess I'll go with the CAL ... but not sure right now, I'll see soon.

If you like the CAL don't hesitate to buy it, I'm sure it's good.  The only thing I will say about the M-80 is that:  1. it was specifically designed for "club" music; 2. it is even easier to drive than the CAL; and 3. it is arguably the best sounding/tightest bass V-Moda ever made.  But yeah, your choice.  

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 16

If you like the CAL don't hesitate to buy it, I'm sure it's good.  The only thing I will say about the M-80 is that:  1. it was specifically designed for "club" music; 2. it is even easier to drive than the CAL; and 3. it is arguably the best sounding/tightest bass V-Moda ever made.  But yeah, your choice.  

Hm, I didn't know that ... Thank you.
I am giving a little advantage to the CAL's and UE 6000's, because they are over-ear (I read that the bass is better when they are over-ear, because of the noise isolating) and because they have slightly better prices.
This don't mean that I am not going to buy the M-80's, I will take a few days more to think and consider about it.
Also, I hope somebody else will rate and give an advice, about which of the three models is going to be the best buy for my requirements.
:) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back