best chill guitar or instrumentalists...your suggestions
Feb 7, 2016 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

canali

Headphoneus Supremus
just trying to explore some different venues here.
love what george winston does on the piano...now discovering lars dannelson on bass/jazz.

any wonderful guitar players too that have that chill/reflective tone...clint eastwood knows how to knock
it out of the park with many of his movies for soundtracks
(the unforgiven, milion dollar babyl bridges of madison county).

blue morgan: from million dollar baby...what a wollop of a song...seems so simple but also so full
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29dnEjtXvMQ&ab_channel=HenriqueLaterza

'the unforgiven'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa8Q4cJGMKg&ab_channel=wheelbarrow74

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 12
Your linked pieces aren't quite of the same style as anything in my music collection, but they do remind me of one album I bought years ago - "Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny - Beyond the Missouri Sky"

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 12
Mython is on point with Pat Metheny.

I would check out Tord Gustavsen Trio. Very chill jazz trio, quite reflective in this song.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 12
If you ever fancy something of an *increasingly 'contrasting' nature
wink.gif
:

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 12
On the piano side of things, I have an old Linn Records sampler CD, somewhere, and I recall a jazz pianist by the name of David Newton, playing a track I think entitled 'Bedroom Eyes', which was quite chilled, but I can't find that track on youtube.

Diana Krall (a controversial artist, I realise) sometimes slows down and plays quietly, one example being 'A Blossom Fell':

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 12
Some of the soundtrack stuff by Ry Cooder or Mark Knopfler might be relevant, too, although it'd take some digging to find the laidback stuff, in between the noisier tracks.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 12
of course love tht stevie ray vaughan song...fab sound
even the spotify version i'd heard a few months ago.

what sort of recording or downloading are you using?

i'm just getting into better audio now.

Quote:
  If you ever fancy something of an *increasingly 'contrasting' nature
wink.gif
:

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 12

what sort of recording or downloading are you using?

i'm just getting into better audio now.

I have a bit of 24/96 and 24/192, but because most of my music collection was purchased during the past 25 years or so, well over 90% of it is CDs, which I rip to 16/44.1 .flac files, using ExactAudioCopy.

Provided they have been well-recorded and well-mastered, Redbook (i.e. 16/44.1) files can sound stunning, particularly if played using a Chord DAC. I'm not saying that to promote Chord; I'm saying it because of the unique way in which Rob Watts' DACs reconstruct the musical signal - making Redbook files sound closer to analogue than anything else I've ever heard.

I never use streaming.  I like to buy CDs whenever possible, as I like a true hard-copy, and when I can't buy CDs, I buy .wav or .flac (in rare instances, I'll buy .dsd) downloads, to play offline.

Spotify and Tidal are gaining popularity, but, personally, I've no interest whatsoever in the streaming model of music delivery.

YMMV
popcorn.gif

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 12
Lindsey Buckingham . His versions of "Go Insane" & "Big Love" from Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" . I've always found "Tubular Bells" to be relaxing . Close the eyes , & listen . I had the honor of seeing Iron Butterfly back in 1993 , they played the long version of "In-A-Godda-Da-Vida" . Unreal !! Even the studio version is chill music , to me anyhow .

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 12
  "Stolen Moments," Lee Rittenour, from the album Stolen Moments. Virtuosic jazz chill.

Thanks for that; I'll be sure to check it out.

I have 3 or 4 Fourplay albums - I think the first one has Lee on it, and the guitar playing is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back