Best, cheapest USB DAC with a line-out?
Oct 21, 2007 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jigen

Head-Fier
Budget: up to $150, but closer to $100 would be better.

I have to have a line-out because I want to be able to hook my portable amp up to my computer, and listen to my headphones that way. Any recommendations? I was also looking at USB sound cards, but I'm not sure if that would be a better option than a DAC.

This is all confusing for me.
tongue.gif
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 14
I'm a bit confused by your original post.....

What sort of "USB DAC" does not have a line output?

And what do you perceive as different between a "USB DAC" and "USB sound card"?

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sort of "USB DAC" does not have a line output?

Hmmm, he may have been referring to portable DAC/amp combos.
tongue.gif

Quote:

And what do you perceive as different between a "USB DAC" and "USB sound card"?

USB Sound Cards are more than USB DACs in that they usually have other features such as inputs or headphone outs. Products in the E-Mu line of external sound cards are an example.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 14
Just wanted to be sure......I am a huge fan of the 0404 USB as I've not heard anything else for $150-ish that sounds as good (even though it does have all that other functionality available beyond simple D/A with line out.)

And likewise, to me a DAC has to have a line out--otherwise it's not a DAC, but a DAC-amp.

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to be sure......I am a huge fan of the 0404 USB as I've not heard anything else for $150-ish that sounds as good (even though it does have all that other functionality available beyond simple D/A with line out.)

I would also agree that the EMU 0404 USB is a great value for the price.

Oct 22, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 14
Echo Indigo DJ will provide the most neutral, flat, and absolutely HONEST signal through it's line out. But it's not USB, but a PCMCIA card.

Oct 22, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 14
I wouldn't mind a card-based solution myself.......but my notebook has an ExpressCard slot, not PCMCIA. Only card that I have seen so far for ExpressCard is a Creative unit that has received rather poor reviews.

Anybody have knowledge or at least a good sense of whether ExpressCard is going to be truly accepted as the new standard, or has it fallen out of favor already? HP/Compaq have released a number of newer notebooks after I bought mine a year ago that make it seems they've reverted to PCMCIA.

Oct 23, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 14
I have an EB01 that I am very happy with. I did add sockets for the opamps and changed them to my preference which for me really opened it up. But stock it is still one heck of a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back