best cheap wines
Jul 30, 2006 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

iluvcans

100+ Head-Fier
any suggestions? i'm on a very limited budget-- but still enjoy good cheap stuff (especially red-- but not limited-- so suggest any)

right now, my favorite "cheapy" is carlo rossi burgundy, 4liters for $12-- not bad!!!

yellowtail also rocks and so does the famous "3 buck chuck" from trader joes..

Jul 30, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 26
well, i'm 16, so my knowledge is limited, but my dad owns a few upper class resteraunts, and he brings home wines. There's actually a brand called "Cheap Red Wine" that's supposed to actually quite good.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 26
Yellow Tail puts out some good varietals, with the Shiraz as my favorite. There's a good winery near where I live called San Antonio Winery, and they have some really good wines at $10 a bottle. But I just usually go to the nearby Albertson's and blind buy something that's cheap. My experience is limited, however, so I'm pretty much in the same position.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvcans
my favorite "cheapy" is carlo rossi burgundy, 4liters for $12-- not bad!!!

$12 for 4 litres is dam cheap....are you sure it's not cooking wine
tongue.gif

Wow...there are 100's of cheap reds. Any particular grape variety you're fond of? Do you enjoy light or full bodied? Which country/region do you stick to when buying? Too many options.

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 26
If you have access to Trader Joe's, the way to go is "Two buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw at $1.99). This is supposedly $10 overstock stuff from famous vinyards.

Jul 30, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #8 of 26
Another vote for the Yellowtail line of wines - pretty good stuff for the $.

Two buck Chuck is OK.

Really, most of the stuff that Trader Joe's features is a good deal.

Jul 31, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 26
thanks for the help. i am especially fond of the reds-- merlot and cabernet or shiraz is very good.. i love really good wine but it's fun to find a bargain! sometimes the cheap stuff isn't so bad..

Jul 31, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #13 of 26
Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards Red Cat. As a semi-local vineyard they stock it in many of our local stores, but if they don't have it near you, you can order off their website.

Its a very sweet wine, popular among people who don't normally like dark reds. Which means you may hate it! (if you really like heavy reds).

And theres always the Transylvanian Vampire Wine. While not the bestest wine ever (its a $10 bottle of CS that tastes like a $10 bottle of CS), it does have a spooky looking bottle which is really good for getting Goth women to sleep with you. You can buy mixed-variety sample cases and vampire DVDs from their website.

Jul 31, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #14 of 26
I have very little wine experience, but for $4 for a 750mL bottle, Sutter Home White Zinfandel is hard to beat for me.

Jul 31, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #15 of 26
Agreed! The Yellow Tail Shiraz is a great one and priced very reasonable as well..

Quote:

Originally Posted by vibin247
Yellow Tail puts out some good varietals, with the Shiraz as my favorite. There's a good winery near where I live called San Antonio Winery, and they have some really good wines at $10 a bottle. But I just usually go to the nearby Albertson's and blind buy something that's cheap. My experience is limited, however, so I'm pretty much in the same position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back