Best Cheap MP3 Player?
Mar 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

NonApplicable

100+ Head-Fier
I no longer have a portable media player in my possession =(. Listening to a sea of conversations on transit is becoming painful lol. Originally I was planning to wait for the Z2 to release in Canada, but the drawbacks of the device and other android based PMPs are weighing more heavily as time passes.  I have decided to go with something cheap, and get w/e Cowon puts out next year.

I'm looking for something that is:
  1. Under $100
  2. At Least 8GB(or as low as possible if SD card adapter exists)
  3. Podcast Compatibility 
  4. Good SQ to Price Ratio

Thanks in advance to the good samaritans who care to lend a hand!

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 17
Clip+
Hard to imagine something better in this price range
Oh wait, there's Clip Zip

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 17
The Clip+ is the one to get. It is only $30 for the 2GB one. Add a 16GB microSDHC card, and you have a great 18GB player for under $50. The Clip+ is great for podcasts and audiobooks. It has a resume feature, so it will remember which file in the podcast or audiobook series it was playing last, and the place in the file. It can do this for a number of audiobooks or podcast series(it works using the album tag, with each audiobook or podcast series being one album). It has separate areas for podcasts and audiobooks, so these won't play when you shuffle your music.

The sound quality is great. The main drawback is only around 12 hours of battery life. If you need more than that, you could get a small external usb battery pack, like the 1800 mah Duracell MyGrid charger(you don't need to use the My Grid system), or the Tekkeon MP1550, which lets you charge the player using 4 nimh AA batteries(it will even charge the nimh batteries in it when it is connected to usb power). The Clip+ can be played while it is charging via a usb battery pack, or an AC or car usb charger. It will play while charging if connected to a pc using a power only usb cable.

The Clip+ is tiny and has a built in clip. The display is small, but is very functional. Navigation is easy. I have been using the Clip+ since it came out 30 months ago.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 17
That's the ticket. I paid about $35 for my 4gb Clip+. I got a 32gb micro-sd for $28 and connected the Clip+ to a $9 pair of Skullcandy earphones (with 13mm drivers) that I got from a clothing store (T.J. Maxx or something) about 5 years ago. The Rockbox'd Clip+/Skully's hit pretty hard (in the bass department) playing rap/hip-hop music.

My friend told me (oh sure) your $900 phone/earphone combo sounds better but not 800+ dollars better. I told him,  if you listen to them for 800 days, it's just a dollar a day better. I got about 600 days to go before my value kicks in.

But seriously, enjoy. I still enjoy mine.

Mar 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Thanks for your help guys! Just purchased a 4gb Clip+ for $27 =)

Where did you get it for $27? I hope you didn't buy a refurb. The refurbished ones are a gamble. Sometimes they are fine, and sometimes they are a problem. A new 4GB one is only $35 with free US shipping. I have not seen them new cheaper than $35.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 17
I did buy a refurbished one. I found it difficult to find fair prices & shipping to Canada.

Why are refurbs a gamble? By definition aren't refurbished electronics functioning both in software and hardware? A few cosmetic flaws possibly, but why should I be worried?

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 17
popcorn.gif

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
I did buy a refurbished one. I found it difficult to find fair prices & shipping to Canada.

Why are refurbs a gamble? By definition aren't refurbished electronics functioning both in software and hardware? A few cosmetic flaws possibly, but why should I be worried?

My last refub had battery issue and when I tried install rockbox it just shut down and there was no reaction after all. I had been charging battery about 5h before install rockbox (sorry for my english)

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:

A refurb is one that failed testing at the factory and was patched up, or it was one someone opened and returned. The opened and returned ones were supposed tested and found to be okay, or they were repaired. Perhaps around half the time the units were okay but still returned, while the remainder might have or might not have not have been fixed  properly before being sold as refurbs.

My usual rule is to avoid refurbs unless they are less than half the lowest new price for the item, and the item is cheap(so I can just trash it if the refurb is no good, rather than have to go through the hassle of trying to get it exchanged). I have not bought any used, open box, or refurb items for several years.

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Thanks for the insight dudes 
cool.gif
. I'll be sure test Everything and return the Clip+ if there are any issues.

Good luck as I think we're both Gojira fans :)

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 17
Hey guys,

I'm also looking for a cheap portable source. I'm planning on buying a portable DAC and amp, are there any cheap (under 150) options that have an SD or micro-SD card slot and allow for me to bypass the DAC and amp?

Thanks!

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm also looking for a cheap portable source. I'm planning on buying a portable DAC and amp, are there any cheap (under 150) options that have an SD or micro-SD card slot and allow for me to bypass the DAC and amp?

Thanks!

hijacking threads is a no no............ and the fuze is the answer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back