Best cheap IEM?
Apr 5, 2015 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

threedaysgrace

New Head-Fier
A little background: I like headphones that are as detailed as possible for the price. that being said, im not expecting any miracles here, but I would like to know your favorite cheap or relatively cheap IEM that's durable. If possible, try to narrow it down to something that puts emphasis on vocals, but all suggestions based on all sorts of sound signatures are welcome here :)

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 5
Cheap is a relative term when you are talking about IEMs that range from $3 to $3000. It would be more useful to simply set the maximum price you are willing to pay.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 5
What's good in the $100-$150 price range?  I'm in on the massdrop deal for the AKG K553's, but would like something more portable and to sleep with.  Shure SE215, RHA MA750 and Yamaha EPH-100SL are one's I've seen being recommended a lot.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 5
For sleeping I don't want anything with deep insertion or that sticks out too far, or that costs much because I will trash them tossing and turning. I want light, cheap, and low-profile earbuds so I sleep with Apple EarPods and my iPod nano every night. I replace them about every 3 months but they're cheap. They don't have much noise isolation so I can hear something going on in the house if I need to. They don't wake me up when I roll over and they pull out of my ear. I can sleep on my side without being bothered by them. I can pop them back in my ears while remaining mostly unconsciuos and I'm not terribly concerned with sound quality while I'm asleep. For me, EarPods are perfect to sleep with. If I'm awake and listening to music I use something else. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 5
When I travel and the odd sounds of a hotel room bother me, I prefer low-profile, over-ear IEMs that provide as much isolation as possible. I have had good luck with MEElectronics M6P - they are cheap (under $20) and they sit flush in your ears. I like Comply tips, so I use those instead of the included silicone tips. The M6P cable is not very long, so you either need to use a portable DAP, or have an extension cable to a bedside source. I have also used Shure SE215 and Westone IEMs for this application and they also work well, and sound better than the M6P, but at a much higher price.

There are also other IEMs that sit flush with your ears, like some of the RHA or Vsonics models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back