best cheap headphones
Jun 7, 2005 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

carpetpaul

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm a little new here, and first I'll appologise for not bieng all that technical and trying to do this on the cheap, I'm not in the market for £200 headphones from that company that I can't spell, rather, I'm after cheap end but reasonably effective ones for use with a standard cd walkman.
I did have a pair of £25 Panasonic 'DJ' style full sized headphones that were great until someone sat on them. To me, the sound was much cleaner than any speakers I'd heard and most importantly to me, the bass was very strong and very low, this is what I want again.
I'm aware that my cd walkman will have limited power but although it killed batteries it was still producing more detail and better bass that any other hi-fi that I have.
I know you'll suggest spending more, and you'll say, "If you think those were good....try...."
Anyone who's been happy and can recommend budget full sized headphones at £20-£30 with strong low bass and will produce good volume with little power, or even if you suggest spending that sort of money on a second hand pair on ebay, please post

Thanks for reading my post !

Paul

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 14
Have a search for the Sennheiser HD201 headphones. You can get these for about £13.50 delivered in the UK (empiredirect).

Not too shabby for the price.

Steve

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 14
Steve,

you beat me too it. Yes, the HD 201s are at such an amazing price point yet they get positive impressions/reviews. Great design too.

Phong

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 14
I'm not sure how much they go for abroad but the Creative HQ-1300 (aka Labtec Elite 840) are inexpensive and sound remakably good for the price. Also, Koss makes several inexpensive headphones that sound awesome. Specifically the KSC35/75 and the PortaPro's. Again, not sure how much you would be able to get them for but they might be worth looking into.

Jun 7, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 14
I'm kinda partial to the Koss Porta-Pros, a great can for the price. Haven't heard the Senn's though.

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 14
For an inexpensive headphone I don't think the Koss PortaPro's can be beat. I use them all the time when out walking and often at home.

John

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 14
Just got myself a pair of Koss PortaPro2's (PortaPros sans the pressure adjustment) and I'm amazed at the sound. I would definitely recommend this.

I also just ordered a pair of Labtec Elite 840s/Creative HQ-1300s. I can't wait to see how they sound.
280smile.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 14
I have the Labtecs...I can't really speak from a comparative standpoint since I don't have any high-end headphones yet, but meh, they're ok -- nothing great.

Jun 8, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 14
If you can afford it, really, a Grado SR60 is a really REALLY good buy... Best bang for your buck..

Jun 8, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 14
koss ksc35/75 and PortaPro are all very good budget headphones that are worth considering.

extend your budget a little bit and the SR60 wont disappoint.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #14 of 14
Actually, (and maybe the comfort issue is in play here) with the 75 ohm adapter and an amp my KSC35's rival my SR80's (with flats) for fun. They aren't as detailed but I use them primarily for hard, fast, thumpin' music that doesn't really require much detail. I EQ up the bass a little (ok, I'm a basshead
basshead.gif
) and they really rock the house (so to speak).

As for the Labtec's, I think after burn in they are amazingly balanced for the price. They have a more laid-back, detailed Sennheiser type sound that really comes alive with a 75 ohm adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back