Best Charlie Parker Box Set?
Aug 25, 2007 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bootleg

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking to add Charlie Parker to my collection in one fell swoop, but "The Complete Savoy and Dial Studio Recordings" appears to have some issues???

Is this still the best way to go to capture Bird?

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 10
Yes, these are the best way, especially the Dial sessions, but if you are getting all the Dials and all the Studio Savoys in a single box, then may as well !
The Live Savoys are worth hearing also.

What were the "issues" that had concerned you ?

Chris

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 10
amazon.com talks about a "flawed disc 4" that needed replacing, but unfortunately Savoy isnt around anymore???

Also, the packaging gets criticized by a lot of people--a minor issue, but there it is.

Aug 25, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 10
That Savoy/Dial Complete box has the motherlode of stuff on it, but my issue with it is that it was programmed for afficionados/academics rather than consumers, hence the addition of multiple takes of certain pieces rather than just the definitive master. Personally, I can think of very few instances where I wanna hear three versions of the same tune back to back; Miles Davis reputedly hated the CD-era commonplace of padding out discs with "bonus tracks" of workshop stuff from the vaults. "If I wanted people hear all that sh–t," he's said to have remarked, "I would have put it on there in the first place."

Savoy seems to have come to their senses since they issued that bodacious eight-disc Savoy/Dial studio thing, though. You can now get the 3-disc The Savoy & Dial Master Takes, as well as an even more recent 2-disc The Genius of Charlie Parker. And yeah, the live Savoys are pretty awesome, too.

Aug 25, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 10
I would definitely go with the Master Takes box. 3 discs (compared to 8) of just the best material (although not always the best Bird solos.) Its also available from yourmusic for 21 bucks. The Complete edition has up to 5 or 6 takes per tune, all in order on the discs.

As for the flawed Disc 4, I think you can still get a replacement as it is not Savoy manufacturing the discs but some Faceless Music Corporation like Sony that is sitll around.

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 10
There is a boxed set on the label Proper which has almost everything by bird that you ever would want.... in four discs. It has almost the complete master takes of bird on Savoy and dial, and quite a bit of his Verve Masters.

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-Bird-Char...8096772&sr=8-2

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a boxed set on the label Proper which has almost everything by bird that you ever would want.... in four discs. It has almost the complete master takes of bird on Savoy and dial, and quite a bit of his Verve Masters.

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-Bird-Char...8096772&sr=8-2

That's pretty much what I wanted! Thanks!

I just ordered it!

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a very decent overview that can be had for cheap. I listen to it often- great cuts with Miles as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...8075306&sr=8-1

Also ordered this one!

I'll flip the one I dont like!

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back