Best cell phone for quality and storage and small form factor
Nov 27, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #16 of 31
Sony W580i.......

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelsoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it these Sony phones have a 3.5mm jack so you can use your own headphones?

Unfortunately not, you'll need an adaptor. You can pick one on eBay for couple of dollars. Or you can use supplied headset
eek.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats the improvements with those?

w580/w850/w880 use walkman v2. those have better SQ than w800/w810 which have walkman v1.

I don't know anything about w960, but it has walkman v3
eek.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
w580/w850/w880 use walkman v2. those have better SQ than w800/w810 which have walkman v1.

I don't know anything about w960, but it has walkman v3
eek.gif

The difference being?

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #22 of 31
I have a Sony Ericsson W910i, which can take a 4gb m2 card. In the box is a 1gb card, headphone dongle, a pair of Sony earbuds, a usb cable that doubles as a very portable charger, and a usb stick adaptor thing for the m2 card. I often use it with my new Super.fi 5 Pro's when commuting.

Positives:
The sound quality is pretty good, certainly holds up to my old Network Walkman, and it's a very pretty gadget. You can create playlists on the fly and drag and drop files (no Sonicstage nonsense) with either the usb cable/charger or the m2 adaptor. You can just about skip tracks and change volume with the phone in your pocket.

Battery life is good, and I use it day to day without too much hassle.

Negatives:
Biggest flaw is the omission of a 3.5mm socket.
You are forced to use the dongle, which leaves you with loads of cable to tuck away when using any other headphones (the included ones are designed to connect to the dongle close to your neck, and have a very short lead). The dongle sticks out of the side of the phone, which means you can easily disconnect it when taking the phone out of your pocket.

Doesn't feel as solid as other phones I've had (has a slider mechanism).

Can be a little fiddly to use, but the new Walkman software miles ahead of most other music phones I've seen (though not up to iPhone standards I'm sure).

I'm no good at writing reviews, but in general I think the w910i is excellent, it's such a shame about the socket thing.

Dec 17, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #23 of 31
How close or how far is the SQ of a SE walkman series from a dedicated mp3 player like ipod/cowon/Sony?

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #26 of 31
Nokia 5300, durable, compact, good sounding phone and has a micro SD card for storage (potentially 8GB). My sister has this phone and the abuse it takes makes me cringe, it is very durable and comes with a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor for using better headphones.

Dec 23, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #27 of 31
I recently got the Nokia 5310 XpressMusic. I am very impressed with the quality of music. Coming from iriver clix, I would say that the SQ is roughly the same (then again, my ears are not that great).

It is slim (9.9mm), has 3.5mm headphone jack, take microSD card, and even FM radio.

I was considering one of the SE walkman phone, but the 3.5mm headphone jack is worth a look especially considering the thickness of this phone..

Dec 23, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #30 of 31
I have a Sony Ericsson w580i. Very compact, excellent screen (320X240). I haven't done critical listening yet, but it seems pretty good.

Nice thing is it comes with accessories..like a 3.5mm adapter cable with mic and mute that you can plug in your own set of headphones in (or use the included...decent but over bass heavy).

The M2 stick is accessible from the outside without any battery removal or the like.

For those that care, user adjustable 5 band eq and mega bass as well.

Oh yeah it is small...and feels nice. I actually love this phone and the music features are a bonus. Lumines Blocks is a great portable game that comes free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back