Best cell phone for quality and storage and small form factor
Nov 9, 2007 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Mimesis

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a cell for to use for my "Very portable" rig. Which will just include the phone and atriom5's.
It needs to be very small, and offer at least expandable memory up to 4g.
I know of course that a cell phone will never offer comparable sound quality to a dedicated dap, but I just want something that i can use on the off chance that I don't want to carry around the q5 + tomahawk setup that i'm thinking of buying.

Any suggestions?

Nov 25, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 31
Im going to bump your thread.

Im also looking for a phone that has a decent enough sound which i can plug my own headphones into. This seems to be the biggest stumbling block with mobile phone manufacturers at the moment.

I would also like it to be drag and drop. Can be bothered arsing around with more stupid soft ware for "syncing" my tunes. There are a couple of nokia's that look promising but i dont think they are drag and drop.

Any recommendations are most welcome. Im not interested in the iphone for what its worth.

Nov 26, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 31
I use my Sony W810i from time to time, with my own earphones as it comes with a 3.5mm adapter. I don't like the way it handles tags in playback basically it doesn't handle filetree and doesn't handle "artist album"/"compliations". To get music on/off it I simply remove the memory card, (its easy to get to on the W810i) put in the card reader in my laptop, and transfer files to the MP3 folder on it. Its much quicker than using the supplied cable with the phone.

Its sounds ok, and the controls are ok. Handy to have Radio on it aswell. But I usually prefer using my iPod Shuffle or Samsung YP-U2. They sound better, have a shorter cable, and battery life is better. The YP-U2 can use filetree aswell. Using the phone kills the battery. It lasts 1~2 days where it would normally last me 5~6 days.

Nov 26, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom10167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this a trick question?

iPhone

<<<Bought an 8820

As i said, i dont want an iphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my Sony W810i from time to time, with my own earphones as it comes with a 3.5mm adapter. I don't like the way it handles tags in playback basically it doesn't handle filetree and doesn't handle "artist album"/"compliations". To get music on/off it I simply remove the memory card, (its easy to get to on the W810i, some bury inside the phone) put in the card reader in my laptop, and transfer files to the MP3 folder on it. Its much quicker than using the supplied cable with the phone.

Its sounds ok, and the controls are ok. Handy to have Radio on it aswell. But I usually prefer using my iPod Shuffle or Samsung YP-U2. They sound better, have a shorter cable, and battery life is better. The YP-U2 can use filetree aswell. Using the phone kills the battery. It lasts 1~2 days where it would normally last me 5~6 days.

I charge my phone daily anyway so as long as its got 10hrs playback with some talk time that would be good.

I do have several DAPs (Clix, Cowon D2, H140, H320, H10) but am looking for a more mobile solution as i dont like carrying too much when out on the piss.

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 31
Same here: I don't need 2 devices on the go + 2 chargers/adapters at home + remember to charge both!

I got Sony W300i with 2GB card. The sound quality is really good for the "on the go", train, subway environment. I load it with 190kb/s encoded files so it holds almost 24 hours of music.

+Radio is also a bonus.

-The only minus is very slow transfer rate.

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by vyusseem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here: I don't need 2 devices on the go + 2 chargers/adapters at home + remember to charge both!...

My MP3 players last a 2 weeks or longer without a charge. The phone about a week. So I'm not charging that often. If I used the phone as a MP3 player I'd be charging it almost daily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vyusseem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-The only minus is very slow transfer rate.

Using a card reader its not to bad.

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #14 of 31
I have a 2gb micro sd card in my samsung blackjack and i love it. The first blackjack can only hold up to 2gb, but if you truely need 4 the blackjack 2 just came out and it can hold up to 4gb of expandable memory. My only complaint is the battery life on the blackjack, but the blackjack2 fixed that with a longer lasting battery.

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #15 of 31
I have been looking for a phone during the last week!... great timing to bump this thread :wink:

I am looking at the Nokia N95 8 GB... has decent internal memory + 3.5mm HP jack + radio + great other features (wi-fi with exc browser) + think it is drag & drop
confused.gif

Any of you have and use this one for music on the go? I would keep using my h140 + TH for music but would like to have a decent phone to minimize the rig on the go
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back