Best CDP for under £200
Jan 26, 2007 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DJShadow

1000+ Head-Fier
So I'm finally going to progress from using a pcdp as a home source to something (I hope) that is more hi-fi. My requirements are that it must have a headphone jack because I doubt I'd be spending anymore on additions like amps, DACs, interconnects etc. It doesn't have to be SACD or multi-changer and is an upsampling unit is way out of my budget?

So far I've been looking at the Cambridge Audio Azur 340C (£150) and 540C V2 (£200). Are these any good? The Sony ce595 seems to get recommend very often as an excellent beginner kit, but I prefer the look of the Cambridge systems and want avoid the brand name. What about the Marantz cd5001(£170)? BTW, the Cambridge units dont have any headphone jacks but have the s/p dif jack. Is alright to plug straight into this?

Any suggestions would be great.

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for replying. The prices I've quoted are from Richer Sounds
cool.gif
. I've read up a bit more and it appears that I need an amp if I want to connect headphones to the 340c and 540c; very annoying as I really like the look and the characteristics of the Cambridge units
mad.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, the Cambridge units dont have any headphone jacks but have the s/p dif jack. Is alright to plug straight into this?

No, sadly , you cannot plug your headpones directly into the spdif as it is a digital output.

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 12
Just a suggestion, but how about something like;

Second hand NAD C521BEE CD Player (£70 inc delivery - eBay Buy It Now),

Little Dot II++ from eBay.

That should come in at around £180.

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 12
Actually, which cans do you have or wish to run from the player/amp?

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #9 of 12
Personally I would either save to increase my budget or look at the second hand market, perhaps something like I posted above or I suppose you might be able to find a better deal in the For Sale section of the forum.

That's personal preference though, I don't know about the MDR-SA5000 so I can't comment on how they may sound.

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 12
Yeah thats a good point, although if you had a budget of >£200 what would you buy that also had an integrated headphone jack? And the For Sale Forum is a great place, but since equipment in the UK represents a small proportion of what goes on sale there, its going to be a tough finding something appropriate. Ah well, I'll keep looking.

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back