Best CDP for $300 (not $3k)
Oct 5, 2007 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ahamric

Head-Fier
Open to suggestions. I wonder what's out there in the $300 range (new and used) that will be a good source for redbook. DAC, CD player, I don't care. Any opinions welcome.

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahamric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open to suggestions. I wonder what's out there in the $300 range (new and used) that will be a good source for redbook. DAC, CD player, I don't care. Any opinions welcome.

Denon, philips, sony etc.

300 dollars second hand might buy you a former top of the line model and should still sound very good with redbook, since on alot of low level sacd players sacd is quite good but redbook playback is behind.

Those former top of the line players have also much better laser and pickup systems but you have to becarefull to know for sure the laser/pickup units are still avalaible, if you need a new one. Alot of former sony top of the line players cannot be repaired because a few years back sony stopped producing those specific mechanisms and dried up quickly.

In the 300 dollar range new, you'll likely to get plastic pickup/laserunits with less good damping.

Those older drives make a good transport for a good dac for instance.

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 12
The Marantz CD-5001 has been getting a lot of reviews, read up on it to see if it's something you'd like. NAD released their C525BEE last year, not that many reviews yet but still some stuff to read on that one. It does replace their former C521BEE which had a great reputation though. I'm not really aware of any other CDPs in your price range that'd be worth mentioning. Cambridge Audio's 340C maybe, but I haven't read much about it.

Marantz, NAD, and CA each tend to have their own house sounds so it'd be a good idea to research their other digital sources to get an idea of what you might expect.

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #4 of 12
Rega Planet 2000 with its used going price around $300, sounds absolutely marvelous.

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 12
Get something used.. you can get more performance/dollar that way.

I'm going to pick up a few years old AMC CDP for $75. Retailed for over $400 brand new. Hey, can't beat it for the price. And I'm SURE it will beat up my crappy Sony DVD player, which I paid just as much brand new. Although I did use it for upconverting DVD's, until HD-DVD came out, and not CD's, it's served it's purpose until I could find a cheap, decent performing CDP.

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #9 of 12
Cambridge Audio is generally regarded as the best bet in this price range, which I would tend to agree with as a former owner. Your best bet would be a used 640c, a very formidable cdp, and they generally pop up on Audiogon every now and again. If you can't find one in your price range though a NAD C542 would be a great alternative.

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For around $300, you can get any one of the Oppo digital players I believe. They also happen to play all formats in case you decide to go in that direction.

I've heard that Oppo sound is not all that great. I wonder how it would compare to the Sony SACD/DVD changer I already have (Model DVP-NC685V, component video out, MSRP was around $250).

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahamric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard that Oppo sound is not all that great. I wonder how it would compare to the Sony SACD/DVD changer I already have (Model DVP-NC685V, component video out, MSRP was around $250).

I have been listening to SACDs & CDs through my Oppo 970HD > MAD Ear+ HD > MS-1 & I am *very* pleased with the sound quality, just make sure you set up your bass management properly for headphone use. The Oppo is on the clinical side, so those preferring a warm presentation may not like it as much. I'm not saying that it will blow high end dedicated CDPs out of the water by any means, but you will be hard pressed to do better for under $200.

For what it's worth, Absolute Sound rated the Oppo as a top pick within the sub-$1000 price class. Perhaps not the absolute best in class, but certainly worth a look if you are budget-minded.

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #12 of 12
The 'OPPO' universal players sound excellent for the money (I have the DV-980H), but you have to go into their menu system for proper setup (stereo, 5.1, etc.). No big deal, but you may have to hook up a video source to SEE the menu for some of the setup choices, especially if you just plan on using it for audio only. 'No big whoop'!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back