Best CDP around $1000 for me
Dec 24, 2004 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

BrianS

500+ Head-Fier
What are some good CDPs around $1000? I have been recommended the rega planet 2000 and music hall cd-25 level 3 from soundodyssey. What are some others? I like my music involving and musical. I don't buy used. Please also list some online sites where I can check the prices too.

Thanks, Brian

Dec 24, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 16
The Eastern Electric MiniMax Tube Output CD player is great and it has a very good internal headamp as a bonus. I feel the MiniMax is a clear step up from my Rega Planet 2000 yet they sell new for about the same although the MiniMax is on sale through the distributor Morningstar Audio Imports for $750 during the holiday season.

Dec 24, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 16
Although some of these modded CDPs may run you more than $1K http://underwoodhifi.com is a great place for comparison. Underwood hi-fi is a very respected name in modded players. Jolida, Music Hall, Eastern Electric, Shanling etc. are listed with various levels of modifications. Sometimes you can really come up with a great buy. For example, I have purchased a new Shanling T-100 level 1+ modded CDP for about -$1000 off the normal sale price due to an unfulfilled order. I would even recommend that you give Underwood hi-fi (Walter L.) a call and ask for an opinion.

Dec 24, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 16
Perhaps we should leave stickies for CD players, SACD/DVD-A/Universal players, turntables, etc. at certain price points, e.g. $500, $1000, $2000, etc. ?

These threads seem to come up every week or so.
tongue.gif

Dec 24, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 16
The Musical Fidelity X-Ray v3 got a glowing write up from Sam Tellig in the December Stereophile, they're $999. I checked it out the other day and was impressed, but I don't have much experience with players at that level, so I don't know how it stacks up against other high-end units.

Dec 24, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 16
I don't know what the best CD player for you would be but I just sent my stock Denon 2900 to SACDmods for Matt to do his magic.I got the player at ecost for less than $550 refurbished.I will have roughly $1200 in it.We shall see how it sounds.

Dec 24, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for the responses, I will do some more research.

Dec 24, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
I don't know what the best CD player for you would be but I just sent my stock Denon 2900 to SACDmods for Matt to do his magic.I got the player at ecost for less than $550 refurbished.I will have roughly $1200 in it.We shall see how it sounds.

I was blown away by the result of Matt's mods. I think you'll be thrilled. Congrats!

Dec 24, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Hmmm, I wonder.......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I know. But I had a chance to hear the G08 and a Wadia 301 at a meet not too long ago. Meets aren't very good to really compare gear, but I brought my MH and the mods w/ Zapfilter held its own given how cheap it is. I know mods aren't for everybody, but I'd be surprised to hear a stock unit of any manufacturer being better at the same price. I guess it's the Zapfilter itself more than any particular brand of player.

A nice transport with an Ack! dAck! was also very very good, but you've have to get a used transport to stay in that price range.

Dec 24, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay

I've just sent mine as well, though my CDP's Sony C555ES. Can't wait till I get the player back!

Dec 26, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
The Eastern Electric MiniMax Tube Output CD player is great and it has a very good internal headamp as a bonus. I feel the MiniMax is a clear step up from my Rega Planet 2000 yet they sell new for about the same although the MiniMax is on sale through the distributor Morningstar Audio Imports for $750 during the holiday season.

I have read about this player on 6moons. If the headphone jack is so great what would I possibly do with my mpx3??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back