best cd-r blanks?
Nov 1, 2002 at 9:23 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Mitsui's are well regarded.

That's the general consensus I got too a few month back searching thru IT groups and usenet. AFAIK, the dye kodak used was license from mitsui. However, again some mitsui's are manufactured in taiwan and this may account for some batches being crap.

I'm using mitsui currently and so far, they given me no problems. So too with kodak .. should be still plenty of them out there even though they're idscontinued. I used to use verbatim -- burned them, checked them ok but they turned into toasters after a few months ... all 30 of them
eek.gif

Nov 3, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by N@Z
What would be the best brand to use for making quality audio CDs.

Generally, Mitsui Gold, Kodak Ultima Gold (out of production now) & Taiyo Yuden would be good choices. Not too sure about Fuji because I've never tried them nor do I personally know anyone who has.

Nov 3, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #19 of 31
Fuji's are most definitely Taiyo Yuden CDRs. You can tell TY's by the cream white colored screw-on spindle top.

Nov 3, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #21 of 31
I've said it before: In my experience, the best CD-R for digital audio (especially pro archiving) is Quantegy Gold. The only outlet I've found that has them for a reasonable price is Canal Hi-Fi (they do have a web page, BTW).

One problem: Unlike the Ultima Gold series (which I still found on sale recently, BTW), Quantegy Gold seems not to come in an 80-minute version.

Nov 3, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
One problem: Unlike the Ultima Gold series (which I still found on sale recently, BTW), Quantegy Gold seems not to come in an 80-minute version.

Then its useless.

Nov 4, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #23 of 31
Rather a harsh assessment for every possible application, don't you think?

Given that some of us need our original archived recordings to last, I think we can manage to fit them onto 74-minute CDs rather than play them two years later to find the data has become all stutter and vapor.

Here's the thing: Until I find an 80-minute gold CD that's reliable and currently in production, I'll be doing primary audio archiving on the most steadfast media I know. Besides, there are a lot of 74-minute music CDs about.

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
Rather a harsh assessment for every possible application, don't you think?

Given that some of us need our original archived recordings to last, I think we can manage to fit them onto 74-minute CDs rather than play them two years later to find the data has become all stutter and vapor.

Here's the thing: Until I find an 80-minute gold CD that's reliable and currently in production, I'll be doing primary audio archiving on the most steadfast media I know. Besides, there are a lot of 74-minute music CDs about.

I'm just being a person
very_evil_smiley.gif

Although, i personally use Fuji's right now, i find them to be quite good when extracting data out of them. It's not like a 80 minute cdr blank is equivalent to a 120 minute audio cassette regarding wear and tear.

For my hobby, a 74 min cdr is absolutely useless.

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #25 of 31
I've been using Sonys now for a year...I swear by them, I've gotten my friends to swear by them...
evil_smiley.gif
They just seem to hold up the best for, umm, more complicated data copying.
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 5, 2002 at 12:10 AM Post #28 of 31
No. I think they're just normal CD-Rs with some cosmetic enhancements. Not sure if the top's really grooved like a LP or what. Probably just normal black CR-Rs (only reflect red light). You can get them at Audio Cubes.

kerely

Nov 5, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #29 of 31
If you want to get a good overview of which CDR's work well with which burners (which is the most important factor), check out www.cdrinfo.com, and look up your burner.

I'm using a LiteOn 48x burner, and I'm able to burn at that speed using 32x Taiyo Yuden discs. The results check out to be a bit-match under EAC, so I'm happy. And I'm able to get Taiyo Yuden CD's here for 29 cents a piece, including sleves. Not too bad a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back