Best CD Player
Oct 17, 2007 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vcoheda

High-End Forum Volunteer
was browsing the virtual systems on audiogon. some of the setups there make me want to cry - just amazing. came across this one. this guy has the following CD players.

1. reimyo cdp-777 CD Player
2. zanden 2000p Transport / zanden 5000 signature DA converter
3. emm dcsd-se Transport / emm dac6-se DA converter
4. krell standard
5. Meridian 800 CD Player

best one ... the reimyo.

Quote:

In addition I do have choice of cd playbacks ,sacd,and dvd-A, I have found that different recording sound better on some players than others.As far as CD players if I had to only keep one cd player ( like my wife thought I am living in excess and forced me to cut back) I would keep the Reimyo I find it be the best all around player,the zanden is good for some cd but lack the dynamics of the reimyo,the meridian 800 is good but again does not have the wonderfull sound of the latter aspecially for orchestral music.All of this can be taken with a grain of salt,I primarily listen to Classical music and I am old so my high frequency response is rather poor, however I can still hear well at the few KHz and that where some of the edginess in the sound comes from.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...192604849#comm

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 8
1191400629.jpg

$10,000 smackers.. looks pretty cool IMO.
lambda.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda
best one ... the reimyo.

Agreed re the Reimyo - it's been on my list to Santa for a few years now . . . I guess I just haven't been good enough.

No doubt about it, that Zandan is a work of art. That said, though it's not on the list, but I'd also very easily settle for a Pathos Endorphin any day . . . brains and beauty.

That's some crazy set up that gentleman has - whenever I view that system I just shake my head in amazement.

Cheers,
Garry

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1191400629.jpg

$10,000 smackers.. looks pretty cool IMO.
lambda.gif

Indeed, however Matrix HiFi tested this against a $200 Pioneer DVD player and *nobody* could tell the difference, you could save yourself $9800
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, however Matrix HiFi tested this against a $200 Pioneer DVD player and *nobody* could tell the difference, you could save yourself $9800
evil_smiley.gif

My car doesn't even cost that much ($10,000). It was hard to spend $270 on an amp..

It sure looks cool. If someone could build one for hella cheap PM me!!
580smile.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 8
vcoheda;3362510 said:
was browsing the virtual systems on audiogon. some of the setups there make me want to cry - just amazing. came across this one. this guy has the following CD players.

1. reimyo cdp-777 CD Player
2. zanden 2000p Transport / zanden 5000 signature DA converter
3. emm dcsd-se Transport / emm dac6-se DA converter
4. krell standard
5. Meridian 800 CD Player

best one ... the reimyo.

I have traded emails with this gentleman and yes he has a very impresive system. Interestingly he prefers running a 2 channel signal from his Reimyo through a Cello analog equalizer and a Meridian surround processor and listening in surround to un-nprocessed 2 channel.

I have had the pleasure of demo ing the dCS stack (not the new Scarlatti), the Zanden 2000/5000, Weiss Jason/Medea and EMM CDSD/DCC2 (not the Signature version). Lots of different flavors represented by these choices. And there are many top rated digital sources I could not find. In the final analysis I much preferred the mbl 1621A/1611E. The only lesson to drawn from this is that there are way too many choices out there, it is critical that you have an idea of what sort of sound signature you are looking for that suits your taste in music and what you think is most important in reproduced sound, and finally there is no substitue for hearing for yourself.

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 8
quite an impressive list of gear you have heard there. pretty much all the players you mentioned plus the ones in this guy's system are components that i would like to audition (someday).

i think a high-end source is probably the most difficult decision to make when constructing a system, because (as mentioned) the choices are many and fewer people own them, so your chances of just running into one are smaller.

i'm curious. in general, at what price point for players do you think things, for the most part, stop getting better and instead merely become a matter of preferred differences.

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidNY
The only lesson to drawn from this is that there are way too many choices out there, it is critical that you have an idea of what sort of sound signature you are looking for that suits your taste in music and what you think is most important in reproduced sound, and finally there is no substitue for hearing for yourself.

Well put.

Your mentioning of the dCS stack reminded me that I forgot to mention the dCS P8i -another gem of a player in this category and among the best I've had the pleasure of hearing.

Cheers,
Garry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back