Best CD player for a £500 budget ($900)
Feb 14, 2006 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

squall2072

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

Now I've finally got an amp for the RS-1's I was wondering what CD player I should upgrade to. I love the planet because it controls the RS-1's highs. She's a tank and the RS-1's fear her! Because of this I don't think the RS-1's are being all they can be so the planet may go... depending on whether I can find a suitable replacement.

I don't know too much about CD players but I need one that is made for the UK and I wouldn't be a good idea to be too bright. I’d be using it with a PPX3 SLAM > RS-1’s and eventually some senn HD-6**’s. I’m not too bothered about used but I’d prefer new, but I’ve bought used before and would do again if it’s the best option.

OR

Option 2 is: I find a tube adapter so I can use 6SN7’s and buy a Ken Rad for the Grado’s and stick with the Rega.

OR

(Secret option 3, highlight to see!)
Do both!!

The budget is really fixed on £400 + what I can get for the Rega… and I’m debating selling the SR-225’s with C-pads…. But I might sell the SR-225’s to cover the tube adapter costs and a tube.

Any help would be great, if you could explain why the CD player would be a good choice that would be a great help.

Thanks again

Dean

EDIT: I'll be using it for post-rock music mostly: Godspeed, Sigur Ros, Mogwai with other british indie stuff too.

Feb 15, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 21
The Eastsound E5 for $750 (USD) air expressed from China is a bargain.

I think you would have to buy in your country since there is a distibutor there I believe - find out where you can see it and buy it.

Price will be more because of distributor's costs.

Feb 16, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 21
the planet is one of my favorite sources and is definately a good match with the rs-1, stick with it! i'd try a different amp first. ear hp4 is really expensive, but there's no better amp for the rs-1. that would be one hell of a system...
if you want to go solid state approach, try the new headamp gilmore gs-x.

Feb 17, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 21
True, I too enjoy the planet... she carries alot of love with her, but I think she'd be outclassed by the ear hp4!!

a $250 source with a $4000 amp... I'd love to be able to afford it but I'm a student bum! Maybe when I've got a decent job I could play around with that sort of money but I think I'd get into speakers first then come back to headphones.

I have no thoughts what-so-ever about selling the SLAM, I've only had her for over a week!
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the option though.
smily_headphones1.gif

For me its really down between the Apollo and the Eastsound (because I don't now of any others!)...with the apollo winning at the moment because of customer support and a local dealer + its new!
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 21
You could probably audition the Apollo locally... anyone close to you have an Eastsound? I heard the Planet and it was clearly inferior to the Eastsound, but they have supposedly made some rather large improvements with the Apollo so it is hard to say.

Feb 17, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 21
I can't say I know of any local head-fiers
frown.gif

Are there any other CD players that might be in my price range? I like the look of the Eastsound because it looks like a tank, like my planet.
smily_headphones1.gif

I might try to audition the Apollo on Wednesday and have a look if they have any other CD players there too.

Feb 17, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 21
Have a look at the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v2, for £250 it's a great CD player.

If your budget can stretch it, then they also have the upcoming 840C which should be around £500 mark - from the specs it looks very impressive.

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #13 of 21
Look at the shanling, maybe. It's got a tube driven headphone output on it to boot.. New price might be a bit beyond you, but s/h you might get lucky. Looks good too. It's had good write-ups, but I can't comment on the sound because I haven't heard it.

Feb 17, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 21
cheers Grif
smily_headphones1.gif
That a bit out of my league at the moment... I ran a search on "shanling" The CD500 is a stunning CD player! As is the CD-T300! But I can't see anything that looks that good to be within a students budget... maybe if I wasn't going on holiday I could spend £1500 on a source... unfortunately the holiday is expensive so high end stuff will have to wait about 5 years
frown.gif

I'll definately look into those shanling CD players though one day
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back