Best CD + MP3 player?
Dec 17, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #17 of 28
Guys,

The IMP-400 IS worth the difference over the IMP-350's price, IMO.

I bought the IMP-350 for my wife last Christmas and just received the IMP-400 for myself
biggrin.gif

Using Etymotic 4S's, the IMP-400 has a fuller, richer, yet very clean and clear sound compared to the 350. The FM reception also seems to be much improved--with the 350 it is often difficult to get stereo reception; with the 400 my experience so far has been much better. I know IRIVER's website doesn't seem to indicate any differences in specifications between the two units, but that is my own experience (I have been listening to both to compare). The remote is also a bit nicer with a SLIGHTLY larger and brighter lcd screen.

Finally, the 400 comes with 1450 ma NMH batteries, as opposed to the 1400 ma batteries with the 350. And the 400 has a very USABLE and cool case which has a belt loop attachment (different from the pouch in the picture posted above), plus a car kit (12v adapter plus cassette adapter to allow you to charge and play your unit through the car's stereo).

The headphone out of the 400 is the best I have heard since my original Sony D5 player. It's THAT good (Okay, I don't have a collection of old Sony units, so don't flame me--but I did own a D5 and it was GREAT sounding--but no skip protection, barely portable, etc.)

I have yet to listen to the line out (I intend to use my Sony D-EJ1000 for that purpose, together with my Cosmic), so I can't report on that yet--but those of you looking for an excellent headphone out--look no further in an MP3/CD player. This one has the goods.

One final note: when my unit arrived from J&R Audio, the firmware was corrupted/DOA. I attempted a firmware upgrade, but was unable to get it to initiate completely until I hooked up the unit with my wife's 350 remote. Once the firmware intitiated, I was then able to use the 400's remote. I'm not sure why this was. Perhaps there might have been a better way to do it and get the same results--but the 400's remote was unusable (no characters visible past the opening screen) until I plugged in the 350 remote. Go figure
rolleyes.gif
I'm sure some of you out there probably know what I did wrong/should have done differently.

At any rate, I'm guessing the transit of the unit caused the firmware to be corrupted, but as it turns out, all that was needed was a fresh loading of the 1.02 firmware. Just a friendly warning, because based on my review (if you believe me
biggrin.gif
, ) I know alot of you are going to be ordering one soon
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #19 of 28
by the way... i did get the slimx 400...

i gotta say... this thing is the goddam most complicated portable CD player i have ever used! i actually had to read the damn manual to learn how to use this thing! this thing has more features than i could ever have imagined a CD player having.... most of it pretty useless, but there are some pretty cool features.

anyway... as for the line-out, i think there is some noise. it's definately not perfectly silent as some may think. but it is quiet enough to be barely noticeable, except in the most silent of surroundings, at normal amplified levels. so, it's well within the acceptable range, at least to me. the Total Airhead i had it hooked up to had added many times more noise than from the line-out itself... so, though i wouldn't use the slimx 400 to replace a good desktop CD player, it is good enough for me to use as a portable.

orpheus

Dec 31, 2002 at 1:29 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
anyway... as for the line-out, i think there is some noise. it's definately not perfectly silent as some may think. but it is quiet enough to be barely noticeable, except in the most silent of surroundings, at normal amplified levels. so, it's well within the acceptable range, at least to me. the Total Airhead i had it hooked up to had added many times more noise than from the line-out itself... so, though i wouldn't use the slimx 400 to replace a good desktop CD player, it is good enough for me to use as a portable.
orpheus [/B]

I have slimx 400 and ety er-4p phones. Do you think that I should buy amp for it? Have you compared head phone out and line out with your airhead? I live in Finland and it is quite hard to find portable amps here.

Dec 31, 2002 at 6:12 PM Post #21 of 28
as i understand it, the 4p phones were made to be driven without an amp.... the 4s series are the ones made for amps, right? kinda goes against their purpose to use an amp, in my opinion... otherwise might as well just buy the 4s.

i didn't really listen to the headphone out. i did try it a little... sounds fine to me. but i didn't really listen to it closely. i did try just plugging my headphones (mdr-888) straight into the line-out, and it sounded thin (probably the impedances of a headphone screwed up the sound... with the amp plugged in, it sounded fine.) the headphone out was fine, and about 2x-3x as loud as the line-out.

Jan 1, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
Any ideas how better the iMP-500 will be or what it'll look like?

15_25.jpg

Jan 2, 2003 at 7:47 AM Post #24 of 28
i hacked my rio 250 for the IMP-250.hex firmware version 2.12 :p. i can play the game snake on it
smily_headphones1.gif
. i cant wait for the imp500 to come out! i want it! do you know how much it will be?? i guess $200 but maybe different? anyone know the specs yet completely?

Jan 4, 2003 at 12:05 PM Post #26 of 28
Personally I dig the Sony CJ01 much more than I dug the IMP-350. I mean I seriously think it's the best MP3/CD player you can get right now, gimmicky features that you don't need aside.

Jan 4, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #27 of 28
Although the D-CJ01 has amazing battery life, g-protection, very
good sound, nice looks.. it still lacks something. And I don't really
think looks in PCDP matter as much as in headphones because
you don't really go around with your PCDP on your head or on
top of your shirt (????) so everyone sees it. You just hide it under
your clothes and you pop the remote out and clip it somewhere. I
don't see the needs for good looks really. D-CJ01 lacks features
IMO. Compare it to iMP-350/400 you'll see what I mean
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2003 at 10:23 AM Post #28 of 28
in my experience, with my SlimX+Ety 4S+Headroom Cosmic combo, I have little or no hissing at all anymore...even in quiet areas. The reason I say at all anymore is because before the amp was included in the previous combo, I did notice a quiet hiss.

Orpheus: it is actually to the customers advantage to shell out 50 or so bux for 4P to4S adaptor cable. here are a couple of reasons why...having the cable allows for 4P use on the road while the 4S can be used at home (which is obviously less portable) with an amp for better sound quality. it is the best of both worlds if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back