Best CD/DVD drive for audio ripping that costs $100 or less?
May 30, 2009 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
Or should I just get a Plextor Premium and forget about watching movies on my computer or putting them on my S639F?

I can afford the Plextor Premium 2, but I don't think I want to spend that much (it's $130 at best).

May 30, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 7
I actually don't mind watching movies on a ridiculously tiny screen. I'm not a videophile(?). And the videos I'd put on it would likely just be live performance videos.

May 30, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 7
EAC is all you need. If you set it up correctly (offset, audio cache, etc..), pretty much any drive will give you a perfect rip. I am really happy with my pair of SH-S203B drives, so any current Samsung will do great. I also had great luck with LG drives as well.

I also considered the Premium, but NOS was $149 at the time and it is an older drive. Who knows how long it will last with the electronics sitting there for a good amount of time unused.

May 30, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can afford the Plextor Premium 2, but I don't think I want to spend that much (it's $130 at best).

That reminds me, back in 1994, I purchased a NEC SCSI 3x (yes, 3x) CD Drive with ISA SCSI card to drive it. 700$ for the drive, 150$ for the card. lol

I would second LG drives, I have one on my other computer and it rips fast, and the accuracy has more to do with the software you're ripping with, imho.

May 30, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 7
dBpoweramp did a test of many slot loading DVD drives to be used in their RipNAS product. There is info here and here. They went with a Teac. Model number listed in the linked thread.

If you're willing to consider a slot loading drive put in a USB enclosure, that would be an option.

May 30, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dBpoweramp did a test of many slot loading DVD drives to be used in their RipNAS product. There is info here and here. They went with a Teac. Model number listed in the linked thread.

If you're willing to consider a slot loading drive put in a USB enclosure, that would be an option.

If the discs being ripped are of any value, a slot drive is a definite deal breaker due to the risk of scratches to the discs. I will look at the link though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back