Best case/protection for 4G iPod?
Dec 11, 2005 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DickxLaurent

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for the best option for a friend's Christmas gift. He just got his 4G 40GB iPod replaced under warranty and mentioned that it's nice to have a "scratch-free iPod". So I thought I should get him a case to keep it this way.

I'm looking at the iSkin that fits this model. I like the iSkin I have for my mini. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Sorry if I missed older posts about this. Links welcome. Thanks!

Dec 11, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 19
I use the Countour Case for my 4G 20gig, dont worry it comes with different Pads for different ipod thicknesses. Best ever, Hard as hell, nice screen protector, but the FM transmiter does not fit!! The only thing exposed on the Countour Case is the clickwheel.

hope this helps

~Mike

Dec 11, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 19
I wish I had a 4G so I could buy The Fluffer
icon10.gif
It goes well with winter and all
cool.gif

Dec 11, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 19
well i actually like the iskin. it is rubbery, so it sticks to the inside of your pocket a bit. enought so that it wouldnt fall out even if you were doing jumping jacks upside down. the plastic cases are slippery so they'd slip right out.

the only problem is that lint kinda sticks to it a bit. it's not a big problem, but it doesnt wind up being the cleanest looking thing.

Dec 11, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 19
if all he's worried about is scratches, the invisible shield is terrific. shows off the beauty of the ipod. if he's also worried about dropping it, i was pretty happy with my iskin. or you can be like jahn and use both the invisible shield and a case. overkill, IMO, but great protection.

Dec 11, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 19
Vaja Cases have protected my 4G ipod quite nicely, and look great. Check out the head-fi meet impressions for Hamilton on November 15th 2005 (my pic is the ipod in the centre of the portable stuff picture..case is on it as well)

Dec 12, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 19
Does anyone know for sure if the TURBOdock II will fit into the opening on the bottom of the Showcase? The housing is slightly thicker than the connector on the iPod cable. Judging by the pictures on Contour's website, it looks like it would *probably* fit, but I can't exactly tell for sure.

I'm getting my friend a TD II also, so I'd want it to fit, of course.

Dec 12, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 19
I've had the Contour (not bad - go with Black though as it picks up marks quickly on rubber - like tennis shoes) and I think about seven other cases, and the only ones I can recommend is a Foof (or similar pouch-like case) or Xtreme Mac leather case (held in by pressure on the sides - good design). While I was at that site, anyone see their new nano case - ouch.

microsport_1.jpg

Dec 12, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #15 of 19
The XtremeMac leather is a really fine case -- depending upon which model iPod you have.
I bought one for a 60 gig 4g, but it was such a tight fit, the case looked like it was warped. (An earlier version of the same case fit the 60 gig fine.)
To their credit, XtremeMac immediately sent a replacement (without asking for return of the first case.)
Unfortunately, the fit was exactly the same.
BTW, all three cases fit the 40 gig iPods just fine.
So....good product, good service.......but, in my experience, not so good a fit with the 60 gig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back